We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in marrakech advise needed please.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
teesside
1st time in marrakech advise needed please.

Hi, have just booked to stay in The Aqua fun hotel in marrakech in July, from what i have read this is about 20 miutes away from the airport, could somebody please tell me what i should be paying for a taxi from the airport to hotel please.

Also would it be recommended to have a guide with us when we visit the square and medina, and if so where would we arrange this?

is it safe to be in this area at nighttime? and what time would it be best to leave ang get back to the hotel for safety reasons. I have travelled several times to different parts of Egypt, and know how bad the hassle can get, and although i do sometimes feel intimidated i do not want this to stop me visiting places i want to see,however after reading on different sites on internet im now feeling a little anxious, i will be travelling with my husband and 17 year old son. any advice would be greatfully appreciated, thankyou

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
1. Re: 1st time in marrakech advise needed please.

Hi,

If you type 1st time into the search box you'll find loads of advice on this subject but I'll repeat what many have said before.

If the hotel doesn't offer airport transfers you should pay about 150 to 200 Dirhams for a taxi (not per person).

The hotel will arrange a aguide for you if you want one for the first visit to the medina but most people manage without one.

The medina is safe and there is no time limit as to how long you stay in it if you are visiting a restaurant for example. Look in the top questions box under petit taxis for advice about how to contact taxis vert for example which can make things easier.

Without exception everyone I have spoken to who has visited Egypt says Morocco and Marrakech are much less hassle and easier for visitors.

Enjoy your stay when it comes.

Manchester, United...
2. Re: 1st time in marrakech advise needed please.

Good Evening,

I am very Jealous that you are going to the Aqua Fun club it is a great hotel we stayed last July and were due to stay for easter but have just been advised it will be closed until May. The Aqua fun have 2 free buses a day which run from the hotel into the centre one departs in the morning and one in afternoon so you will have to get a taxi if you want one in the eveving but if you come out of the hotel you are on a main road and will be able to flag one down or there is a public bus service we have used with our children aged 8 + 6 and have had no problems a friendly smile goes a long way.

The staff at the hotel also arrange a tour into the centre at night i think it was

about £10.00 each but we liked to do are own thing. I can understand that after reading some reviews you will be anxious but as long as you smile and say a firm no when you do not wish to purchase something I am sure you will have no problems . This will be our 4th time to Morocco and the first time we went to the square I was so worried I have my 2 girls then aged 5 + 3 on Clip on dog leads all the locals were laughing at us and I can now understand why last year we went to a local music festival and the circus where we seemed to be the only English . . There are some local shops opposite the Aqua Fun club where we used to go each day to buy gifts for the local school behind the shops we also took over pencils pens ect and visited the school a few times and were welcomed by all.

I am sure you will have a great time if you have any questions please message me.

Kind Regards, Carmel

London
reviews: 53
3. Re: 1st time in marrakech advise needed please.

If you have experienced the hassle in Egypt, you really won't have a problem in Marrakech. We've been to Luxor several times, and were expecting that the level of hassle would be similar in Marrakech when we went last summer, but were very pleasantly surprised to find that it was completely different. We really enjoyed strolling round the square and through the medina, and whilst people were keen to get us to buy from their stalls, they were nowhere near as persistent as in Egypt, and were generally very friendly and good humoured.

I can't see the need for a guide, and I felt very, very safe all the time we were in Marrakech. I can't wait to go back again.

manchester uk
reviews: 22
4. Re: 1st time in marrakech advise needed please.

You will be fine...it's all great fun and very safe.

My advise is dont engage with any sort of chat with someone who asks you where you want to go! Just tell them you are fine and keep walking. Like wise with the kids that tell you " that way is closed" just keep walking with confidence!

You will get lost in the medina but carry the tourist map available there and it's easy to find your way to a landmark. If not just jump in a cab or tuk tuk.

We didn't find the hassle a problem just crack a joke and a cheeky smile and you will be good.

Have a great time.

5. Re: 1st time in marrakech advise needed please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 22, 2014