We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wall walk?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunstable
reviews: 57
Wall walk?

Is it possible and indeed worth walking around the city walls or would it involve walking along busy road?

I will be in Marrakech for 4 days and rough plan is as follows:

Day 1 - Walking (or cycling around Marrakech) including walk around walls if feasible and visiting gardens.

Day 2 - Bus to Essaouria for day trip

Day 3 - Mountain biking

Day 4 - Bus to Setti Fatma to see valleys and mountains on day trip (or more mountain biking)

Might mean rushing Marrakesh itself but not interested in shopping and will have evenings in Marrakech anyway.

Any thoughts?

Casablanca
1. Re: Wall walk?

That's good plan though, just for Setti Fatma try to hire a Taxi not the Bus, your plan is Doable and good, so in Marrakech walking is good to explore the area and enjoy it.

Have Fun.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
2. Re: Wall walk?

Hi,

You can certainly do the things you list but you are not giving any time at all to Marrakech. Are you in Morocco for longer and this is just a part of your holiday? Marrakech is not just about shopping and if this your only destination in Morocco you are doing it an injustice not to see what it has to offer ;-)

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 7
3. Re: Wall walk?

there is no bus to Seti Fatma; the bus stops way too far from the waterfalls

norfolk
reviews: 30
4. Re: Wall walk?

personally [i stress!] i found the wall rather dull. the part i walked ran alongside a very busy road, and had wide concrete pavements which reflected the sun and heat, and it was very dusty and traffic-fumey.

i would not do it again. in my opinion, it is better to seek out the gates which have nearby markets; you get a good insight into local life, and the various tradfes plied near the different gates.

pam

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
5. Re: Wall walk?

A caleche (horse drawn carriage) ride around the ramparts at dusk on the other hand is a great way to see the various babs (gates) which lead into the medina itself. Some of these are architectural gems and date from different periods in the history of Marrakech. See here for reviews:

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Dunstable
reviews: 57
6. Re: Wall walk?

Thanks to all for feedback - picking out gates rather than hike around the wall sounds like a good idea. Might revisit day 4 and either get a grand taxi or look for other bus routes as happy to use public transport and mingle with locals when on holiday.

Just in Morocco for the four whole days due to work timescales and other commitments so a bit rushed maybe but will get the flavour of Morocco hopefully.

7. Re: Wall walk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 22, 2014