We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location to stay in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
engalnd
reviews: 10
Best location to stay in Marrakech

Hi, I'm planning on spending 4 days in Marrakech at the end of April and would like to stay in a nice riad within the medina area. We want something pretty nice, in a safe area within easy walking distance of the market area etc. I've spent ages looking through all the reviews and have found several lovely riads, but i'm unsure of what area i should be looking at. We want to be able to go out at night, so somewhere near lots of nice restaurants would be good. I know you can't mention particular riads due to it being seen as advertising, but if someone could suggest the best area to be looking i would appreciate it.

Many thanks

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

See this very recent thread here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k607…

as it may help in choosing a district to stay in.

Casablanca
2. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

The Medina would be the best area to stay in Marrakech.

check the left side of this screen it has a hotels section read the hotel reviews and make your own choice by reading the comments on there, and for any concerns or travel interests, send PM to the reviewers and they will help you about any quiry you make for that.

Have Fun.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
3. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

Hi,

If you let us know which Riads you are considering and what areas they are located in maybe people can offer opinions?

Marrakech, Morocco
4. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

Would suggest the area around the major sites such as Badi Palace, Bahia Palace and Saadian Tombs...it is a nice area, accessible, central, and there are lot's of restaurants and some mini-souks right around the Place des Ferblantiers...Kosybar, Le Tanjia, and the many lunch places on the Place itself.

This area encompasses several neighborhoods including Berima, the Kasbah, and Riad Zitoun...

engalnd
5. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

ok, i have narrowed down my search to the following which have availability.

which say they are in the medina area.

Ryads Naoura Barriere

Riad Nafis

Palais Calipau

Les Jardins de la Koutoubia

and Mosaic Palais and spa - Palm groves

They all look pretty nice, but we want to be able to walk out of the riad and be pretty close to some nice local restaurants / bars and somewhere with some atmosphere rather than being in a quiter residential area.

Can anyone offer an advice on which of the above may be more suited area wise.

Marrakech, Morocco
6. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

Before I look up the first three on your list you can discount the last two. Les Jardins de la Koutoubia is not a riad but a fairly large hotel. Nice, and centrally located in the medina but as I say not a riad.The Mosaic Palais and spa - Palm groves - is nowhere near the medina and therefore nowhere near restaurants and attractions.

Marrakech, Morocco
7. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

Ryads Naoura Barriere, another hotel, good area though.

Riad Nafis - the only authentic riad on your list, also in a good area.

Palais Calipau is another hotel but situated in one of the best quartiers in the medina in my opinion.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
8. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

Naoura Barriere is also not a riad - it is a luxury hotel. Well placed if you want to be close to bars and restaurants though as it is on the main road right mid point between the Old and New Town.

To be honest, if you want to be near the better restaurants and bars then you are better off staying in a hotel in Hivernage or Gueliz rather than a riad in the Medina.

engalnd
9. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

Thanks for the replies. I shall have another look at the two areas suggested. It is so hard to choose a place when you have no knowledge of the area. Thanks for your input it is much appreciated.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
10. Re: Best location to stay in Marrakech

Gueliz and Hivernage is the New Town - with the best range of restaurants, bars and clubs of Marrakech.

the Medina is the Old Town (this is where all the traditional riads are located) - best for the tourist sites and cultural experience, there are some decent restaurants as well but very few bars.

It is only a 5/10 minute taxi ride between the Old and New Town.