We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corfe Castle...
reviews: 4
Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

My husband and I are going to Marrakech for 5 days at the end of February for my husband's 70th birthday. He is a keen ornithologist and we would like to take a day trip that doesn't involve too much walking but would enable us to be guided as to good 'watching' areas and a driver who would be happy to stop suddenly if my husband spots a bird of interest!! Any ideas?

Casablanca
1. Re: Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

A day trip to the High Atlas Mountains would be the best spot for your interests to watch the birds and the natural life in Morocco, so hire a driver in Marrakech and make your trip, a driver will make all your services you ask for.

Check the "Things to do" Tab for drivers, in activities and Tours Section, or the Tour companies and Guides Link on the right side of your screen there is helpful links under the Top Asked Questions about Morocco.

Good Luck and Happy Travels.

Corfe Castle...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

Thank you Hamid. We will take your advice!

Casablanca
3. Re: Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

You are welcome Sally.

Good Luck and happy travels.

Dixon
reviews: 17
4. Re: Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

You might enjoy falconry in the area near El Jadida, south of Casablanca

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
5. Re: Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

The two places closest to Marrakech that I'm aware of are Souss Massa national park south of Agadir and Moulay Bousselham north of Casablanca, both are a day's long drive from Marrakech.

January is a good time for migrating birds, not sure about end Feb.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
reviews: 158
6. Re: Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

Keen an eye out in the city itself as well!

I fell in love with the cheeky and colourful house buntings which were a common sight around my riad. I saw a Little Owl on a tombstone in the Jewish cemetery. I saw bulbuls (which have a lovely song) in various spots including Place de Foucald and they even appeared on my riad terrace. Not to forget the white storks on the old city walls (best place is by El Badi Palace/Place des Ferblantiers but also at Bab Agnaou).

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 2
7. Re: Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

Hi

Merzouga is the best area in Morocco for spotting many desert bird species, including desert sparrows, Egyptian night-jars, deset warblers, fulvous babblers and blue-cheeked bee-eaters- all worth seeking, if only to put a face to those eccentric names. Sometimes in springs shallow lake appears northwest of Merzouga, attracting flocks of Flamingos and other waterbirds.

Purists lament the encroachment of Chebbi from the village of Merzouga north past the oasis village of Hassi Labied.

Regards, Youness L

8. Re: Birdwatching/wildlife day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 17, 2014