We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money and taxis

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nazeing
reviews: 7
Money and taxis

Advice please.

I realise that I cannot take dirhams with me so will change on arrival at the airport. Can someone please tell me the approx cost of taxi from Marrakech airport to the Sofitel Lounge and Spa just so I can appear that I have done it many times before even though it is my first visit. Also should I exchange all my sterling for dirhams at this point? I am reading conflicting advice about this and that it is better to get from ATMS. Thank you for your time in answering my questions.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Money and taxis

Click here for money questions:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocco:…

In the main though use your debit card to extract money from ATM's as you need it. Inform your bank where you are going so that your card is not blocked. You can exchange GBP's throughout the city. It is not a good idea to carry a large amount of notes anywhere in the world!

Ask your hotel whether they provide airport transfers. If not expect to pay around 150 dirhams for a grand taxi.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Money and taxis

The taxi drivers eyes will "light up" as soon as you mention a hotel such as the Sofitel, expect to be quoted around 300 DH, and as already suggested expect to pay around 150 DH.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
3. Re: Money and taxis

100 MAD for the taxi. I suggest that you exchange money little and often. The airport has many exchange kiosks and ATMs. The hotel exchanges money and there is a bank with ATM just two minutes from the hotel.

London, United...
reviews: 40
4. Re: Money and taxis

dont ATM's charge every time to take out money?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
5. Re: Money and taxis

The BMCE does, a standard charge not a percentage. About 7 dirhams per each withdrawal.

Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Money and taxis

My Canadian bank sets a daily limit of $500. & charges me $3 ever time I made an ATM withdrawal. I therefore withdraw the maximum each time, which at the moment amounts to 4000 dirhams. Keep a minimal amount in your wallet, and put the rest in a safe place.

London, United...
reviews: 40
7. Re: Money and taxis

Thanks. I got caught years ago making small daily withdrawals in India. When I got back I had a long list of daily $5 bank charges!

8. Re: Money and taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 17, 2014