We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Borlange, Sweden
reviews: 11
Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

My partner and I are looking into booking a desert excursion. We have had a quote for 550 euros per person for 2 nights with one night not luxury hotel and one night luxury camp in the desert (including sandbording and many other things), or 350 euros per person for same hotel and standard camp (including same visits/activities).

My question is, does anyone know if the desert camp upgrade is worth the extra 400 euros? It will be our honeymoon but the desert excursion will cost more than the other 9 days we have in Marrakech.

Any advice or tips are welcomed!

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
1. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

Both prices are very high. From where you do your trip and what more is including in those prices? Also travel from Marrakech for example and back or how?

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

I think you should aim to get the luxury camp for 350 Euros each, and a standard camp for around 270 Euros each. The prices you have been quoted sound way too high........it might be worth asking the company which hotel and luxury camp they will be sending you to.

The prices I have quoted would be a private tour and includes everything except for the Sandboarding (for which I dont know how much the cost would be.........at a guess I would say between 20-40 Euros each maximum). Some camps may even let you do some acitivites for free, we stayed at a cheap basic camp and one of the staff members said we were welcome to try out his ski's on the sand if we wanted to............after seeing the size of the dunes, we politely declined..........

Just be aware that if you travel from Marrakech to the desert for a 3day/2 night tour, then on your third day (Desert to Marrakech), you will be travelling for around 12 hours........if possible then try to organise a 4 day/3 night tour, you will be much more relaxed at the end of it and you will get to see a lot more things on the way there (and on the way back)..........

Edited: 5:14 am, February 07, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
3. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

Which terrible prices anyway, 350/270EUR for the camp is still a little high or? It is almost as my flight ticket to Morocco cost LOL.

And agree, try to organize trip in 4 days, it will be much better and you will see and enjoy more.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
4. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

Are you sure you are not confusing euros and dirhams? The going rate for an overnight camp is normally around 300-350dh which is roughly 28-32 euros.

Stockholm, Sweden
5. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

That I was thinking first too, but luxury camp for only 35EUR? For that price is is normally standard camp. I think he means that it is including some travel this 350EUR or?

But anyway it is still so much.

Edited: 7:49 am, February 07, 2013
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
6. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

I think the price is for a 3 day/2 night tour, including the accommodation, first night in an average hotel and the second night in a luxury camp. Also included in the price is a sandboarding experience and "many other things" (which can mean anything in Morocco)........

Borlange, Sweden
7. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

This is whats included...

- A very comfortable 4x4

- Fuel for entire journey

- English speaking Berber Driver / Guide

- Visit to Ait Benhaddou kasbah

- Pick up/drop off from your hotel / Riad in Marrakech

- 1 night at Riad Chamaa

- 1 night in luxury desert tented camp in Chegaga dunes

- Alcoholic drinks during the stay in the desert camp

- Camel ride

- Sand Boarding

- Sand baked bread

- Berber music and animation under stars

- Half board meals plan witch includes breakfasts and diners

Out of 3, this was the best quote, if there is cheaper, where would I find it?

Thanks!

Edited: 9:10 am, February 07, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
8. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

"Is the desert camp upgrade is worth the extra 400 euros?"

Not from what you've written above.

Borlange, Sweden
9. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

Can you perhaps advise on where I can get a better quote? Every website I come across looks dodgy to be honest, I trusted this quote as it was a top rated here on TA. I've looked at about 20 websites and they either don't quote or are not clear, I don't really fancy emailing them all!

I have 11 days so maybe I will go for a 3 nights tour as opposed to a 2.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
10. Re: Desert Camp: Luxury vs Budget

I've sent you a PM. Three nights sounds a better bet, otherwise you have a terribly long day on the return to Marrakech.