We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menara airport and security

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 17
Menara airport and security

Just felling a bit 'shocked' as I have read in the webpage of Menara's airport some feedback from passengers.

90% of them wrote about things stolen from luggage, many also say they were touched inappropriately by the staff, also that their smartphones, tablets, cameras disappeared from luggage, no lost&found service, etc etc...

I usually take my iphone, ipad and camera as hand luggage but reading all these reviews made me so concerned..

Can anyone confirm if it is really like this???

norfolk
reviews: 30
1. Re: Menara airport and security

what is your alternative? most airlines list those items as 'MUST NOT be carried in hold luggage'. most travel insurance would specifically NOT cover those items if they were not in your possesion, that is, in your hand luggage. general advice to travellers is not to put anuthing in the hold you can't live without.

inappropriate touching is a very subjective thing. if a person sets off the metal detector, then they are liable to be 'wanded' and/or given a pat down. how intrusive you find that process is usually down to your personal sensitivities. it is not pleasant, but it is not supposed to be.

to make loss of belongings and personal discomfort less likely, keep your handluggage to an absolute minimum. make sure you are not carrying metal objects before you go through the metal detector. and check each item carefully if you are required to unpack and repack, so that you leave nothing behind.

no matter how many answers you recieve on this thread, no-one will 'confirm' anything. some people may feel those things above, some may not. it doesn't 'confirm' anything. my own experience was that security was slow but efficient and unoffensive. just like most airports i've been through.

pam

2. Re: Menara airport and security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:10 am, October 29, 2013
Thornton Cleveleys...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Menara airport and security

You say you're taking your valuable in your hand luggage - well, rest assured, your hand luggage will not be out of your sight at any stage unless you leave it somewhere accidentally.

The area with the scanners/x ray machines is small and you will be able to keep any eye on your bag the whole time.

As for inappropriate touching, that is very subjective. Plus at Menara, they do try to separate lines into male and female so that you would only be frisked by a security officer of your own gender anyway, if that makes a difference?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
4. Re: Menara airport and security

John, it was 1999 when Diana Ross (ex Supremes) was arrested at Heathrow airport in the UK for slapping a member of staff after she objected to being frisked by security, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/454462.stm

Just confirms she's a real diva.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
5. Re: Menara airport and security

How many people travel through Marrakech airport each week and how many have complained on their website?

The valuable items that you mention should be packed in your hand luggage not your suitcase. No airline, airport, or travel insurance company will take responsibility for these items if you report them as missing from your suitcase, regardless of which destination you travel to.

Airport security is straight-forward. It is a small area where men and women are separated into two lines. You put your hand luggage through the scanner, walk through the metal detector and receive a pat-down from a police person of your gender. I have never been offended by this practice.

The airport has a 'litige bagage' for delayed, damaged and lost suitcases. 'Lost/found' property is operated by the police. The office is located in the arrivals passport control area. Those people who don't speak arabic or french may have had difficulty in discovering this.

portsmouth
reviews: 9
6. Re: Menara airport and security

I have been travelling to Morocco since 1978 and have never had items gone 'missing' from my luggage, but then I never ever put valuables in my hold luggage, only in carry on bags. I too have just read the feedback on the Menara airport website, as John W says, these incidents of theft could have happened at any airport, including Menara I have to add! However we should not be so dismissive of the comments from travellers who have suffered losses of such nature.

Edited: 2:25 pm, February 06, 2013
Preston, United...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Menara airport and security

Don't forget about 56 million pounds was robbed from heathrow im off to Morocco in May first time there and looking foward it

8. Re: Menara airport and security

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:10 am, October 29, 2013
portsmouth
reviews: 9
9. Re: Menara airport and security

Lladro is the name of the Spanish company which makes expensive porcelain figures, they sell from £100+ up to many hundreds of pounds.

10. Re: Menara airport and security

Removed on: 9:09 am, October 29, 2013