We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night trek recommendation in Atlas mountain area

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
2 night trek recommendation in Atlas mountain area

Hello

We will be in Morocco in early May and would like to do a 2 or 3 day (1 or 2 night) trek (on foot, not camel) - moderate level. Does anyone have a recommendation where that might be? This could be with a guide and staying in accommodation, not carrying a tent and cooking gear or it could be where the gear is carried if that makes the trip amazing. Thank you for your input.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: 2 night trek recommendation in Atlas mountain area

Lonely Planet guidebook has some excellent suggestions.

Alan Palmer's book on trekking in the Atlas is another excellent resource.

Ottawa, Canada
2. Re: 2 night trek recommendation in Atlas mountain area

Are you knowledgeable about the piste from the Dades Gorge/Msemrir to the Todra Gorge/Tamtattouchte. Is this really a reasonable trip/circuit to contemplate, even with a 4x4? or is it better to go up and down each gorge with a normal sedan/car? Is a 4x4 really required?

Thank you

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
3. Re: 2 night trek recommendation in Atlas mountain area

Is a 4x4 really required?

Yes, it's a series of three river beds connected with passes, see morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

See also Lower Dades: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Upper Dades: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Todra: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Edited: 3:37 am, February 07, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
4. Re: 2 night trek recommendation in Atlas mountain area

Hello Tim

Thank you for your replies. I have looked at the 3 day trek in Lonely Planet - Imlil to Setti Fatma (via Ouaneskra andor Tacheddirt and Timichi) and would like to ask you, a) is a guide needed?, b) is a map available - LP talks about getting a Oukaimeden-Toubkal govenment survey sheet, c) is food available along the way or must it be carried and cooked? d) do you need to carry a sleeping bag/pillow - and are gites available without reservation? LP doesn't give gites names or contact info to book in advance etc and e) as a group of 4, are there any questions or information I need to know that I haven't asked for an independent trek. Tour co's are offering guides/cooks/donkeys etc. Are they necessary is the basic question? I was looking to drive to Setti Fatma, park my car, find a hotel that we can leave most of our baggage with, take a grand taxi to Imlil, start the trek and stay in the gites and buy food along the way. Is this realistic? Can it be booked in advance?

Thank you

Mark

5. Re: 2 night trek recommendation in Atlas mountain area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 08, 2014