We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 15
Help with itinerary

I am planning an August trip w/son and 11 yr old son. We would like to fly into Marrakech and then do a desert trek. We would also like to go to Fes to see the tanneries. We would plan on 10 full days. My questions are: is this doable w/out being too rushed. If so, any suggestions as to an itinerary. Can 11 yr olds do desert treks? Also, should we rent a car or look for tours out of Marrakech? I also hearing there is rafting - anyone familiar with this option?

Thanks!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Help with itinerary

Hi,

Flying into Marrakech you should spend a few days seeing the city. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k610… may be of interest regarding rafting.

An 11 year old will enjoy the camel trek into the desert for sure.

The question about whether to rent a car or use a tour company is really up to what you want; the freedom a car will give you against being driven around with a more regulated itinerary (though most companies would try to accomodate your wishes).

You can see Marrakech and drive over the mountains to the desert and then on up to Fes afterwards within your 10 day holiday. It is quite a lot of travelling though.

Think about visiting Marrakech, allocating 4 days to visit the desert and come back to Marrakech and have a day or overnight visit to Essaouira on the coast. Fes is another Imperial city like Marrakech so a beach town would add more contrast to your visit in my opinion.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 15
2. Re: Help with itinerary

Thank you for infomation!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
3. Re: Help with itinerary

Fez is a day's hard travel from Marrakech and if you only reason for going is to see the tanneries, you can visit the ones in Marrakech.

Tweed Heads...
reviews: 47
4. Re: Help with itinerary

We met a family with 3 children when we did our camel trek. The children appeared to range in age from about 8 to 12. Sounded like they were having a ball!!

I'm guessing the most difficult thing with an 11 year old would be the long distances in car travel.

Casablanca
5. Re: Help with itinerary

In 10 Days you have enough time to explore and experience both cities and enjoying the desert too, for 11 YO kid would enjoy the desert safaris too, as it will be an amazing experience for him, due to the long drives we advice to make it in 4 days from Marrakech to Fes via the desert.

If you can drive good, there is no problem if you hire a rental car in Marrakech and finish in Fes, otherwise; book a 4 days desert Tours from Marrakech to fes via the Erg Chebbi sand dunes.

6. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 11, 2014