We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 13
Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

I'm planning on traveling to Marrakech in early June with my girlfriend. We are looking at Riads and there are so many amazing options in Marrakech. We found one we are particularly fond of, but it's not located in the actual medina, but in the Bab Doukkala district.

Is this area safe? Is it close enough to the medina to walk? We are from New York City, so we are very used to long walks, so I expect it won't be a problem.

Also, are taxis readily available in the area? I just don't know the city, and would like some feedback as to the area. Anyone stay in that area on your trip to Marrakech?

Casablanca
1. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

It's very safe, and you can walk with no problems just in case you are tired or get darken use the Petit Taxi they are available everywhere to make your stay at ease, for more information read the recent trip report about Marrakech, there is very helpful details can make your trip at ease.

Happy Travels.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
2. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

Hi,

"The Bab Doukkala district" is actually in the medina.

Which Riad are you looking at? Rue Bab Doukkala is a real local market street so there are no tourist shops and though there are many Riads off the street it is genuinely mostly local people going about their daily lives, shopping for fruit and veg and visiting the butcher shops or snacking in one of the many local snack bars.

It is a very safe area of the city. It is about a 15 to 20 minute walk to the main square.

Taxis are available anywhere in Marrakech there is access to traffic and just inside Bab Doukkala there is a taxi rank.

Edited: 6:54 pm, February 03, 2013
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

Agree with the previous posts, it is a safe area (I have stayed in the area twice), it is always busy with people going about their daily business.......

portsmouth
reviews: 8
4. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

Hi

We stayed in this area last September at the L'Orange Bleue riad, near the Bab Doukala mosque, felt totally safe and we walked to and from the square which took about 15 minutes.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
5. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

In addition to previous replies, I would describe Bab Doukkala as a central and convenient location. The walk to Jemaa El Fna square is straight-forward either along the road or through the souks. There is a taxi rank and the main bus station is just the other side of the medina wall. If you like walking you can walk to Gueliz and Majorelle gardens. Also Bab Doukkala has some lovely restaurants.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 61
6. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

Thanks heresmyreply, we will be staying in that area from 12th feb, for a week, at Riad Altair. It's very reassuring to hear that it is a safe and convenient area! Can't wait - so looking forward to it!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 8
7. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

the closet drop-off for taxis to your riad is the parking off Bab Doukkala Mosque. Then it's less than 5 minutes' walk

Florida
reviews: 6
8. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

Hello, I'm taking my mum a the end of February so will be pleased to hear how your trip on 12th February goes regards places to go and see and the safety aspect. Have a good time!

Leicester, United...
reviews: 61
9. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

Thank you Jillyfrilly, I will post on here when I get back and maybe do a trip report too If I think it would be helpful.

Looking forward to our trip on Tuesday!

Florida
reviews: 6
10. Re: Safety/Convenience of staying in the Bab Doukkala district

Thanks, I appreciate it and will look out for your reply. Have a lovely time.