We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - particular interest to Riu Tikka Palmerai stay

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
reviews: 247
Trip report - particular interest to Riu Tikka Palmerai stay

Just returned from a week in Marrakech and I thought I would write a trip report. We stayed at the Riu Tikka Palmerai mainly because it was an offer we couldn't refuse. Including 7 nights food, drink and accommodation, 3 Thomson's trips and hiring a driver for the day and buying a few souvenirs we still didn't spend £1000 for the both of us.

This is my review of the hotel

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293734-d1171…

The main disadvantage of choosing this option for Marrakech is that you don't really get to sample the local cuisine as much. Of course you could miss meals at the hotel and then try local restaurants and this would still be economical.

The 3 tours offered by Thomsons meant we got to see the Souks and Jemaa El Fna, a local pharmacy and bakery, the outside of the Katoubia mosque, the Jewish and the Kasbah district, the Bahia Palace, the Saadian tombs and the beautiful Majorelle gardens. Our guides were local men who did a good job of explaining the history of Marrakech and the religion and culture and who swept us through the city with ease. The caleche ride didn't really take us anywhere of interest but it was pleasant enough. They also took us to Bert Flints Tiskiwin Museum which was a very interesting Dar that had been converted to a museum of African art.

We had quite a bit of free time in the main square and for the first 10 minutes I felt like I had arrived in the most exciting place in the world but to tell the truth this feeling soon wore off and because you couldn't really look around without being constantly approached we soon wanted to move on. I think your reaction just depends on what sort of person you are. I am glad that we have been and seen it but we won't be rushing to return. I preferred the Jewish and the Kasbah parts of the city.

Our best day was when we hired our own driver even though I felt a bit let down by the circumstances. I had done some research and taken a recommendation from this forum. I picked an English speaking driver who originally said he would be on holiday but would send another driver. I said no thank you if you can't do it I will look elsewhere, to which he promptly gave me a date that he could take us. However, on the day he sent his brother in law and while his brother in law was very nice - he couldn't speak English so we struggled to communicate. He still took us on the route we had discussed but we couldn't really ask him any questions that came up. So I felt my research had been a waste of time.

Anyway we drove to Asni and had a great time looking round the berber market there. What an eye opener. As soon as I stepped out of the car a passing Berber flashed me an enormous smile so I flashed him one right back - and that was that! There was our guide!. He spoke brilliant English and showed us all around the different parts of the market. It was truly fascinating especially the cooked food stalls, the butchers stalls (we are butchers at home sot the contrast couldn't have been greater) and the donkey park. We even met his donkey. Of course we then had a 5 minute wrangle with him over how much we were going to give him for some berber bangles (I am not guide I sell these) and we paid way over the odds ( my husband was useless at bargaining and just kept saying "just give him the money." lol. But it was the best dirhams we spent on the holiday and i have some photographs that I will treasure for ever. After that we went happily on our way to Imlil. It is suggested you can do a bit of a hike there but my husband has bad legs so we just had a lovely pot of mint tea in a cafe overlooking a valley and the mountains. Then back to Marrakech via Lake Lalla Takerkoust stopping at a small village (Tagut?) for a tagine lunch. Our driver was able to negotiate that for us and we tried to chat in Franglish but we couldn't really communicate which was a shame. The trip took from 9 am til 3 pm and was not rushed at all. It cost a 1000 dirhams. I felt this would have been a fair price had I had my English speaking driver.

Overall we enjoyed Marrakech (me more than my husband who likes the hassle a little less) and we are glad we went. I know that we took the less adventurous route but this was a deliberate choice as we are blenders into the background type of people and fancied being looked after for a change.

So if anyone has any questions - particularly if you are staying at the same hotel - please ask away while it is still fresh in my mind.

North Yorkshire...
11. Re: Trip report - particular interest to Riu Tikka Palmerai stay

I am afraid the hotel is a bit out of the way and not near anything at all. It would cost you 100 dirhams to go into the city if you didn't use the shuttle bus and maybe more to return at night. (that is about £8) We didn't watch the entertainment as it seemed to be geared up more for kids and families. Other adults were going to watch though and they told us it wasn't bad. The animation team are a nice bunch. But there is no music or dancing or anthing like that so you might be a bit bored on an evening if that is what you like to do. You could drop a line to Richard the Thomsons rep and he would probably give you some tips about where to go in the evening. I heard him talking to a new rep about what they did on a night in Marrakesh city and it sounded prettty good fun. If you emailed the hotel and put that it was for Richard the Thomsons rep I am sure they would forward it to him.

Scotland
12. Re: Trip report - particular interest to Riu Tikka Palmerai stay

Hi thanks for your reply and answering my questions. Also good idea about emailing hotel rep. Thanks

West Yorkshire
reviews: 11
13. Re: Trip report - particular interest to Riu Tikka Palmerai stay

Hi Jean,an amazing and factual report.We are going to this hotel in March for a week.Did you enjoy the Hotel,and was there plenty to do.. Food wise were not too fussy and buffet style suits us...My hubbie similar to yours reluctant to haggle in souks and doesnt like to be hassled too much,so we perhaps do like you have done book a driver and get out and about for day..Was there anything that you would have liked to have done but didnt!!! One little query was there a hairdryer in room..Did you walk into Main Square from hotel,is there a local bus????

North Yorkshire...
14. Re: Trip report - particular interest to Riu Tikka Palmerai stay

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293734-d1171…

my hotel review. Yes there is a hair dryer and you are about a 20 minute bus ride from the main square.

Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 10
15. Re: Trip report - particular interest to Riu Tikka Palmerai stay

could anyone advise me wha are the all inclusive arrangements at this hotel after checking out ? i am looking at going in May however the flight isn't until 21h - does the all incl. continue after checking out or do you have to pay extra ?

i've emailed the hotel but no reply

16. Re: Trip report - particular interest to Riu Tikka Palmerai stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 21, 2014