We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location, location, location

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, Canada
reviews: 6
Location, location, location

Hi TA friends.

I will be travelling solo and am looking for a riad for a couple of nights in Marrakech. I have been doing extensive research on which Riad to stay in and I must say it is extremely overwhelming. I have created an excel sheet listing a number of Riads with my requirements to try to narrow it down, and I am still having difficuties chosing as they are all meeting my requirements. I think the final decision will be based on location. I am completely unfamiliar with Marrakech. I know I want to be near but not too far from Jemaa el Fna. I don't want to be too close to the square, but maybe a 10 - 15 min walk, as I want quiet as well. So I am wondering if you could post a description of the neighborhoods. I am not asking for a "good area", as that will be my decision. I would just like a desciption of the area or neighborhood, then I can make a decision. I have already read the FAQ section. I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks,

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Location, location, location

Your question does make sense but unfortunately very difficult to answer. Most riad owners would surely try to promote "their" are. Previous visitors often recommend "their" riad, having probably only stayed in one. Perhaps it is better to write to a few of the reviewers on your short list to ask for their opinions.

Regina, Canada
2. Re: Location, location, location

Thanks for your response but I am not asking for reviews Of riads. What I a m asking for is general descriptions of neighbourhoods. For example (east of the square are restaurants and west of the square is residential. Etc) I have been contacting previous reviewers as well.

Thanks.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
3. Re: Location, location, location

It's not a straight-forward question to answer as a large portion of the medina is 10-15 minutes walk from Jemaa El Fna.

Once inside a riad you are unlikely to hear the bustle from outside, even if it is manic on the streets. I have been in many riads over the years and I still marvel at this!

South Jemaa El Fna square is the Kasbah and the Mellah areas with the Royal Palace, Bahia Palace, Badi Palace and Saadian Tombs.

North of the square are the main souks and Ben Youssef Madrasa.

West of the square is the Bab Doukkala area with the Dar Bacha.

East of the square are the tanneries.

There are residential houses, guest houses and cafes and restaurants in all areas.

4. Re: Location, location, location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:26 am, January 25, 2013
Edited: 10:26 am, January 25, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
5. Re: Location, location, location

Hi,

Personal observations only;

The Kasbah area has many Riads in derbs leading off a busy road lined with cafes where local people hang out in the evening.

Dar el Bacha and Mouassine have some smart gallery type shops and broad pedestrian streets (motos have recently been banned on Mouassine and it seems to be working for the moment).

Bab Doukkala is a local market street so there are mainly local people doing their daily shopping.

Riad Zitoun area is another recently pedestrianised street leading from the square to the the Mellah. It's lined with lots of small shops.

Near the tanneries in the east of the medina and the far north of town are my least favourite parts.

Edited: 12:07 pm, January 25, 2013
Regina, Canada
6. Re: Location, location, location

Thanks Shimmin that 's exactly the kind of inforamtion I am looking for. This will help to narrow things down. I wonder if TA could have topic on neighborhoods like they do on the Madrid forum. It's been really difficult trying to find this kind of information. Most websites only speak to Old Town and New town and the Medina. I appreciate your response.

Marrakech, Morocco
7. Re: Location, location, location

The old town is the medina. The new town comprises two districts - Guilez (mainly commercial) and Hivernage (mainly residential with hotels and villas) An outlying area called the Palmeries also has hotels and villas..

Regina, Canada
8. Re: Location, location, location

If you had a choice to stay in a riad just west of Riad Zitoun or right beside El Badi Palace, which would you chose and why.

Marrakech, Morocco
9. Re: Location, location, location

Do you mean the district of Rue Riad Zitoun(e) el Jdid or el Kedim or the hotel Riad Zitoun (or even the youth hostel of the same name)?

Regina, Canada
10. Re: Location, location, location

Whoops, I actual meant East of Riad Zitouni el Kedin (the road). I am also looking at serveral riads straight west of the square as well.

Edited: 9:04 am, February 01, 2013