We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
reviews: 203
Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

I have read in my guide books and on the forum that about 120 dms is about right for an hour's caleche ride but some reviewers on here have said that they have paid this per person although the guide book doesn't say that. . My husband and I would like to do the night tour so how much should that be for the both of us? Obviously, I know we will still have to work to get that price but just not sure if the 120 guide is for one or both persons. Also not sure if a night ride is more like the taxi's. I thought 6.00 to 700 pm might be nice or maybe a little before so we see the sun setting?? Any thoughts?

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

There are many tours, it is one of the common "scams" that you will be quoted 120dh, then at the end it will be 120dh per person, just be clear at the start what you are going to pay and how the trip will be for. There are lots of caleche at the entrance to Jemma el Fna square, don't be afraid to talk to a few of the drivers before choosing the one you want to go with.

Don't go on a city tour during rush hour (what we did), there can be quite a bit of smog around at that time and all of the other traffic will be in a rush to get past you (it reminded me of the old cartoon "wacky races"!!!!!!!!)

Try to negotiate to 100dh for an hours ride in total (not per person), I expect you will have to pay closer to 150-200dh. It is worth the money as you get to see the city in a different way.

North Yorkshire...
2. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

thank you MIB15. We might do a day time one and a night one as that would be about the same price as the hopof bus that doesn't get such good reviews. What times are to be avoided then?

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
3. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

You need to agree where you want to go before you agree a price as there isn't really a "set" route.

The first trip we took, we decided we wanted to do a tour of the ramparts and see the city outside the medina. We went out to La Palmeraie and I had a camel ride, then we had a bit of a nosy round the posh houses there (can't see too much because of high walls). Travelling on the main roads in rush hour was, for us, the best part of the journey. I've never before seen a bus flying past a full speed with the door open and somebody hanging out having a cigarette. Or somebody filling up plastic milk cartons with petrol at a petrol pump. We ended up going all over the place and it took two and a half hours! However, before we set off, we agreed the route on a map and also agreed a price.

A second journey took us on a more internal route within the medina and only took 40 minutes. Naturally we stopped at the driver's friend's spice shop and were gently urged to go in for a look - but we declined and set off on our trip again. For this journey also, we had agreed the route on a map beforehand and settled on a definite price.

Try to make sure you get an idea of where you are going and an approximation of how long it will take before you start bargaining a price. You will be doing well if you get it for under 200 dirhams for an hour but it really is well worth it.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
4. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

Every caleche has a registration number and should display the price sticker on the window/screen.

The price used to be 90 MAD per carriage per hour however the price went up some time ago now. I can't remember the exact price but 150 MAD per carriage per hour sounds about right.

As has already been mentioned, you should agree the route and price before starting the journey.

North Yorkshire...
5. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

thanks Lalico - I thought the ramparts at night would be a set route - I will think about the day time one a bit more. An hour would be more than enough for us so I might settle on a time and let the driver choose the route within the medina.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
6. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

Hi,

The drivers will always try to lure you in by saying "cheap price" etc but as heresmyreply says there are set price posters in every caleche so try to stick to that if possible (good luck;-). If you manage to agree on 150 to 200 Dirhams for an hour total price, never per person, you will be doing OK and remember whatever the driver says at the end of the tour, as long as you are sure of the previously stated price that is what you insist on paying.

Take note of the time you set off and when it ends to make sure it was the length of time you agreed, pay the price, say thank you very much and walk away. As with the taxis, what can they do if they try to brow beat you into paying more?? Call the cops??

Enjoy it, it is a lovely way to tour round the city and the night tour round the ramparts is beautiful.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
7. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

jean-s, you can easily do the ramparts in an hour, my pst might have been a bit misleading.

Our drive was so long because we went out to La Palmerai and all round the damned houses! Plus we were half an hour with the camels. The driver was lovely and a bit crazy and spoke no English - so we had some very interesting semi-French, semi-Arabic- semi-sign language conversations! He also kept stopping and taking photos of us in the caleche with various backdrops, bless him.

You can go round the ramparts and into the medina in an hour. That's why I suggest having a map (although drivers often have one) so you can point out where you do and don't want to go. It doesn't need to be a detailed map, the one that your hotel or riad gives you is perfect.

norfolk
reviews: 30
8. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

do note that some riads have 'an understanding' with a particular caleche. now, there are mixed opinions about this, since obviously there is some sort of financial deal done between them. but you would at least be assured of the price before you went, with none of the irritating haggling. you now know what it 'should' cost - it would do no harm to check out what your riad can arrange.

have fun!

pam

9. Re: Caleche rides 100-150 per hour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 20, 2014