We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit or credit cards

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 17
Debit or credit cards

I was just thinking, does the shops and restaurants in Marrakech (souks and jemma el fna) accept debit or credit cards?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: Debit or credit cards

Not generally, Morocco is a cash society.

Read article 'Banks and Money' linked under 'Top questions about Marrakech'.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
2. Re: Debit or credit cards

There are hundreds of banks where you can obtain dirhams and pay for all purchases in cash.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
3. Re: Debit or credit cards

I always recommend a prepaid credit card such as FairFX Anywhere card - purely because it normally works out much cheaper than using your standard bank cards and it is also a little bit more secure in case of loss or theft.

I then just draw out as much as I want each day from an ATM but I have successfully used it to pay by chip and pin in both the supermarket and one of the herbal Berber "pharmacies".

Plymouth, United...
reviews: 18
4. Re: Debit or credit cards

If using your bank debit card, you usually have to pay a withdrawal fee, which is usually a flat rate for each transaction, so not really worth it for small purchases, plus an exchange commission.

However most credit cards only charge the exchange commission which is only the difference between the interbank rate, and the rate you pay.

Some credit cards, such as the Post Office and Aqua don't charge this, so you get a perfect exchange rate, and with Aqua, you get 3% cashback.

Never use a credit card to withdraw from an ATM either at home or abroad, as you'll be hit with interest from day one and totally wipes out any savings compared to bringing £ from the UK and exchanging it abroad.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
5. Re: Debit or credit cards

Always worth a quick look here moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo… although they still haven't updated the FairFX section to show the Anywhere card which is a card you load in sterling and is then converted to local currency wherever you are in the world.

New York City, New...
reviews: 24
6. Re: Debit or credit cards

I would recommend getting cash in small bills. Most hotels in Morocco don't like to take credit cards because they get charged too much. And then you save all the high currency and exchange fees from your bank.

Marrakech, Morocco
7. Re: Debit or credit cards

Hi there!

There are restaurants which accept credit cards but there are only a few of them because Marrakesh has largely a cash economy! So you'd better have on you cash money!

Enjoy your time to Marrakech!

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
8. Re: Debit or credit cards

Which Tim stated in the first reply.

9. Re: Debit or credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:36 pm, October 28, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
10. Re: Debit or credit cards

Can't understand why this member keeps dragging old, already answered posts up and adding no new information.