We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eid El-Mawlid

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 18
Eid El-Mawlid

Hi

I will be in Marrakech on 23 and 24 January which is right when the Eid El-Mawlid festival takes place.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Will all tourist attractions close on 24 January?

2. Is there any way to join in with the festivities (if there are any)?

3. Is safety a greater concern over this period (potential terrorist issues and/or personal safety - lots of people on the street etc)?

4. We hope to visit the synagogue when we are in Marrakech - is it possible that there is more likely to be anti Jewish sentiment over this holiday period (albeit by a few) and is it therefore safe to visit the syangogue?

Many thanks for your help.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
1. Re: Eid El-Mawlid

Using previous years experiences as a guide I am not expecting any differences to safety, and I don't expect Jewish people to be treated any differently either.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: Eid El-Mawlid

To answer your questions:

1) The birthday of the Prophet Mohammed known as Eid El-Mawlid, Mouloud and Milad al Nabi, is a one day public holiday meaning that only banks and municipal services will be closed. Tourist attractions will be unaffected.

2) There are no festivities as such. Civil and private ones, yes.

3) The day passes unremarked by most people, and

4) Morocco is very tolerant of Jewish people, especially Marrakech, but check the opening times of the synagogue in the Mellah if you can.

london
reviews: 18
3. Re: Eid El-Mawlid

Thank you, that is very helpful.

4. Re: Eid El-Mawlid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 10, 2014