We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 17
4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

Will spend 4 entire days in Marrakech next month and wondered if it's worth to cover the 'must-sees'.

What do you suggest in a 4 day stay? We want to visit a berber village, I guess this can include the ourika Valley and Atlas right? Or these are in different places?

Whatelse can you recomend? Any good companies for a jeep tour? I have seen so many over the internet and its difficult to mention which one is a good one.

20 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 53
11. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

Hi,

That's the trouble with an emotive question. Some folk would say a day is enough (or even too much ;-) in Marrakech, others could happily spend a week or two with only a couple of days out to break things up.

Personally I think 4 days is such a short visit you should concentrate on exploring the city with perhaps one day trip into the Atlas mountains though I would recommend Ouirgane instead of Ourika.

Lisbon, Portugal
12. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

Can you tell me the difference between Ouirgane and Ourika valley?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 53
13. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

Hi frfp1984,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k534…

Gives a bit of opinion on the two destinations. Type both names into the search box and you'll find lots of previously posted ideas and advice from people who have taken the time to post their thoughts to help visitors.

Get a good guide book and read up on both before you decide which suits you.

London
reviews: 3
14. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

IMO 4 days is enough. last month we went for 3 nights/4 days. I take it, it will be your first time visiting. Airfare to Marrakech is not bad if you go in low season and look out for a deal. Think of the impending trip as a taster and if you like and want more.... go again. Simple!

Lisbon, Portugal
15. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

I have checked a tour company recommended on wiki travel who gave this interesting itinerary:

Marrakech - AitBen Haddou

Pick up at 7:30 Am in the morning from your hotel/riad in Marrakech to depart towards Ouarzazate via the Tichka Pass (2260m) the highest pass in Morocco. The panoramic views of the High Atlas Mountains and magnificent landscapes, scenery peppered by small Berber villages typical of the region. Visit of Kasbah Telouet – an extraordinary sight of the Atlas, a palatial residents and headquaters of the powerful Glaoui tribe. Then continue to visit Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou – Unesco protected 16th century site that inspired many movie makers. The view from the upper heights of the kasbah is awe inspiring and worth the required climb through winding, narrow streets.Here you can also hire camels for short ride in this incredible arid region. Expected return to Marrakech at about 19H.

They also told me that we could visit a Berber family. Per couple is 138€.

I found other companies that charges for this trip 180€ with the detail that it is mentioned 'arrive to ourzazette' ... Is this the reason for the difference in prices?

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
16. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

hi Mik,

Husband and I will be in Marrakech from 15-19th this month. The price i.e. 800 MAD u mentioned here is for the whole trip irrespective of # of person or is it per person?

Blackpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 19
17. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

4 days in Marrakech is enough to see the sights that the tour guides recommend ie Bahia and Badi palaces. Ben Youssef madrasa, Marrakech museum, souks, tanneries etc. You'll be able to get a reasonable taster of the city but it isn't lng enough to actually relax into the pace and rhythm of the place (which is why a lot of the less positive reports seems to come from people who are only there for 2/3 days).

My advice is not to worry too much about first impressions upon arriving. You will probably be a bit overwhelmed and shocked - there is a reason why they says it is an "assault on the senses"!

My first day there, we arrived about 4pm and left the riad for a quick reccy at about 6pm. By 8pm I was ready to book the next flight home! I didn't dare tell my husband (he never wanted to go there in the first place) and he said nothing negative to me either so we both went to bed that night a little unhappy but without discussing it.

Next morning, after a good sleep and a lovely breakfast, we headed out again into the chaos of the souks. By the end of that day we were both hopelessly, passionately in love with the city. It is all about attitude and perception......................and having a great sense of humour at all times!

I think if we had talked about it the first night, we may well have talked ourselves into hating it before we really gave the place a chance. Instead, we had each silently determined to "make the best of it" and the result was that we had the best time imaginable.

So yes, 4 days is enough but I'd probably say that the first day you'll need just to acclimatise!

Edited: 11:12 am, January 10, 2013
norfolk
reviews: 30
18. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

have a read of my jbr

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k5…

pam

Perth, Australia
19. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

I'm interested- did you get to Marrakech? I am planning on 4 days there in early November and would love to know what you did? I'm very confused as have been told you need two weeks to do the country justice. I don't have 2 weeks ( leaving our 5 small children in Australia while we steal a 10 day break!). Would love to know what you think are the "must see and do".

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
20. Re: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?

to do the whole country you would need at least 2 weeks (if not more!), but 4 days is a good amount of time to see Marrakech and maybe fit in 1 day trip as well (either Atlas Mountains or maybe Essaouria on the coast).

Have a look at the 'Things To Do' tab at the top of the page for the list of the most recommended things to see and do

Are you spending all 10 days of your trip in Morocco?

Reply to: 4 days in Marrakech- is it enough?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted