We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech dress code

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
reviews: 4
Marrakech dress code

Me and my friend (two females, 30 years old) are thinking about booking to go here for a holiday but just wondering about dress code, more for the evening?

Aware that knee length dress/skirts/trousers etc and short sleeved tops for the day but what about for the night life? I've been reading about the night clubs, bars etc, are you expected to dress the same for these or can you dress up without offending?

Any help appreciated :)

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Marrakech dress code

Hi,

For the night clubs you can pretty much wear what you would to a club anywhere in the world. A word to the wise though would be to take a long coat to cover up between your hotel or Riad and the club and if you are staying in the medina maybe go and return wearing flat shoes and change into heels when you get to the club.

Manchester
reviews: 4
2. Re: Marrakech dress code

Thank you for the quick response, that's very helpful!

San Francisco
reviews: 8
3. Re: Marrakech dress code

I thought I would share an experience that I had when I was there last year.

I was traveling with another female friend (we're in our mid 30s.) On our last night in Marrakech, we decided to have dinner at one of the stalls in Djemna el Fna before celebrating the fun week with cocktails at one of the plush hotels outside of the medina. It was February, and I wore a a shorter dress that I paired with heavy opaque tights and flats. Since it was chilly at night, I wore my long overcoat. The dress wasn't really low-cut or revealing so I felt comfortable wearing the jacket unbuttoned. I was more or less covered from head to toe in some kind of fabric.

We settled on a food stall where the guys running it were particularly flirty. The one chap offered me 2,000 camels for my striking green eyes. ;-) So while the men were flirty and very attentive to us, we never felt threatened and we shared a great meal.

When we finished with dinner, we stood up to leave and they asked where we were going. We were super vague with the details but thanked them for the meal. One of the men stepped forward towards me and proceeded to button up my jacket. I was a bit surprised by the gesture, but he wasn't trying to cop a feel or anything and it felt like he was just trying to ensure that we didn't have any trouble after we went on our way.

When I have shared the experience with different ones, some of my female friends were troubled by his gesture. It definitely wasn't his place, but it was a gentle gesture and I never felt threatened. And I'm returning to Marrakech and Morocco in April.

Moral of the story is that a single woman or a pack of women can never really be too modest and it's important to be modest while out and about especially when the sun goes down.

San Francisco
reviews: 8
4. Re: Marrakech dress code

To give you an idea of what kind of dress I was wearing, it was a Gerard Darel, similar to the one on the attached link.

maboutique.co.uk/en/gerard-darel-floral-prin…

Saltash, United...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Marrakech dress code

We're off to the Adam Park Spa at the end of the month - does anyone know if there is any dress code for evening dinner? Many thanks

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
6. Re: Marrakech dress code

Judging from their website I do not think that they will operate a dress code as such so smart but casual attire would seem appropriate for dinners.

Saltash, United...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Marrakech dress code

Thats what I was thinking - thanks

london
reviews: 5
8. Re: Marrakech dress code

We are also visiting Adam Park at the same time as you (23 to 27th)....my wife is carrying knee length dresses for dinner ( not too short though) which she probably wear it with black/opague stockings. As always leggings/ or jeggings and tops for the mornings.

There are other links, where it says if you venture out in the night its better to cover up with a long coat, especially in public areas..I don't think Marrakesh is so backward to frown upon at ladies who wear knee length dinner dresses, after all its a tourist destination and their economy depends on us travelers.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
9. Re: Marrakech dress code

If you are visiting in January you will need a coat at night.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
10. Re: Marrakech dress code

Hi rands2009,

The advice to wear a long coat was given to a woman who wanted to visit a night club so it was assumed (possibly incorrectly) that a shorter outfit than knee length may be worn ;-)