We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riads and its 'doors'

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 17
Riads and its 'doors'

just a bit concerned as I read that some of the riads in the Medina do not have locks on the room's door...!!

Is this safe? what about our 'privacy'?

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
1. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

You will need to check with your preferred riad as to whether their rooms have locks or not. I have been in a number of riads. Some have normal keys, and some are locked by a pad-lock on the outside and have a bolt on the inside. I have not been in a riad that doesn't have some sort of lock on the room door for privacy (but that doesn't mean that this doesn't exist). All riads that I have been in ask guests to leave the room key at reception when going outside the riad, to prevent loss of keys. Riads usually have 5-10 rooms so atmosphere and issues like this are different to large chain hotels.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

There is neither an issue with safety or security. As heresmyreply states bedroom doors usually have either locks (sometimes padlocks) and/or interior bolts. Also riads are staffed 24 hours a day. If owner-occupied then by a combination of owners and staff, and if not by a night guardian. Owners and staff respect the privacy of guests. There is no need to be concerned frfp1984.

norfolk
reviews: 30
3. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

where i stayed, there were no locks. the door was held closed by a metal bar similar to a giant bolt, on each side of th door. when you are in the room, if you slide the bolt no-one can come in.

i had no issues with security, though i gather some have. and that the management now provide padlocks on request.

one thing to note. if you leave your husband to have a shower in peace, do not slide the bolt on the outside. this leads to a certain amount of bad temper.

pam

UK
reviews: 3
4. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

So true pam_redboots!

The only door key we had was for the riad front door so we could let ourselves in. We didn't have room keys and didn't feel we needed any. Very trusting of us I know, but we didn't feel in the slightest bit vulnerable due to the very hospitable atmosphere (Riad Argan - very highly recommended!). I think there was a sort of bolt on the inside that we used at night (I think - can't quite remember as we stayed in five different places in Morocco) and there was a room safe that we used, but more for the convenience of keeping everything together.

The bathrooms don't usually have locks on the door either - and that's assuming it has a door. They often have saloon-type doors or no door at all. Didn't bother us though.

Lisbon, Portugal
5. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

I was just wondering about other guests entering in our room...

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
6. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

I've only ever experienced the sliding bolt closure - no keys to rooms only to the main door.

Before our first trip I was a little concerned about the possibilty of other guests potentially entering our room while we were out but once we arrived, it never crossed my mind. You will be probably be seeing any other guests at breakfast or around the riad anyway and it does feel like being part of a family. It's quite an odd, relaxed feeling actually.

I'm sure if you asked in advance, the riad would be more than happy to provide padlocks - as pam mentioned above.

Odense
reviews: 9
7. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

Well, principally one should lock either the door (sometimes a small padlock can fit in ) or/and the suitcase and use the safe if there is one.

Frankly, I trust the staff of the riad more than I trust my fellow travellers.

San Francisco
reviews: 8
8. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

I won't name the riad that we stayed at when we were there (although if you look at my reviews you can figure it out), and it's oddly enough the most safe and secure room that I've ever slept in throughout all of my travels. We could only lock the door with the bolt inside, which we did at night.

Keep in mind that these doors are massive in size and huge and heavy. Any time that we opened our door, regardless of the time, you could hear it throughout the raid and usually one of the staff would peek around the corner.

Any valuables should be locked away in a safe, but I had no qualms about leaving my room "unlocked." when we left the premises.

Lisbon, Portugal
9. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

thank you for all your advises. I will be contacting my riad soon

Middlesbrough...
reviews: 123
10. Re: Riads and its 'doors'

Our riad had the same sort of thing as pam_redboots & jackiebuf describe and there was absolutley nothing to worry about. IMO as long as the riad is secure then you just have to trust your fellow travellers.

If it's concern to you then I hope your riad has the type of locks which will make you feel more secure.