We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
reviews: 29
Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

This is probably a stupid question, but please indulge! I'm visiting Marrakech in March and hoping to do a desert tour out. What do people do with their holiday luggage when on the tours? Will we be able to take it with us and leave it with the guides, or will we need to take it with us out on the dromedary etc? Or should we expect to have to leave it at a hotel/riad?

Cheers!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
1. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

Your post gave me visions of a camel towing a luggage trolley. :)

Getting to the sand dunes, and having a ride on a camel are two separate activities. You can get to the dunes either by public transport, or using a tour company. Once there, either you or your tour company arranges a camel ride of overnight bivouac with the cameleers and you leave your luggage at their base or a hotel.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

If you are returning to the same riad or hotel after your tour then I do not see a problem with leaving any unneeded luggage at your establishment. I have done this from riads and hotels. Just ask the management on your arrival whether luggage can be stored for you.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

It is not a stupid question and one thing I did think about when we were going to the Desert.

The way it works when you get to the edge of the Desert is that you get a hotel (or tour company) to organise your travel into the overnight tents. We were given a room to store all of our luggage in at this hotel, the camels then arrived and we got on, 1½ hours later we were at the camp in the Desert for our overnight stay (we took small rucksacks with us with a few essentials).

In the morning, we were taken back to the hotel, where we were given the keys to the room so we could have a shower and freshen up before having breakfast at the hotel. All of this is included in the price for the overnight experience (camel ride to the Desert, evening meal, overnight in the tent, camel ride back to the hotel in Merzouga, shower, breakfast).

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 1
4. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

I posted the below question on another forum but haven't got a real clear answer yet. It's regarding temperatures in May:

My fiancée and I are travelling to Morocco in May for our honeymoon and we are very eager to do a trip to the desert through the High Atlas from Marrakesh.

However we arrive on May 19th and have read that the Western Sahara temperatures are very hot at that time of year and you can also experience considerable sandstorms. As we are from Australia we are no strangers to heat (its 40 degrees celsius here today!) but we obviously want a relatively comfortable experience. Could you please let us know if it is advisable to take a trip to the desert at that time of year. Also, we have heard of a tour co called Desert Majesty. Any ideas on what these guys are like?

Thanks in advance!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
5. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

Hi saturn73,

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g304018-d2…

Gives you all the previously posted reviews for the company.

May is generally OK to visit the desert but have a look at the weather information links in the top questions box on the right for seasonal averages.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
6. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

The area you would be travelling through south of Marrakech s a semi-arid region area of mainly hamada (stones) and a couple of small areas of ergs (sand dunes) that the locals like to claim is part of the Sahara desert.

In fact it's a long way from the Sahara. Western Sahara however (used to be called Spanish Sahara before Morocco 'acquired' it) IS part of the Sahara, but it's not where you would be going.

Temperatures can be high, but in May nothing is fixed and I'd suspect you wouldn't see much over 35ºC. Sandstorms are uncommon and I've only experienced a couple, both in the winter months, but could happen any time there's strong winds.

Desert Majesty is one of several reputable companies based in Ouarzazate. I've not had the need to use any tour companies in Morocco but I've met the owner and some of the clients of Desert Majesty and if I did need a tour company, this would be the first one I would turn to.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 1
7. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

Thanks so much Tim and Shimmin. Appreciate all the advice from destination experts such as yourselves.

Edited: 7:29 pm, January 06, 2013
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
8. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

Do you remmeber the cost of this package you ar etalking about?

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
9. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

The cost of the package will depend on what type of overnight camp you stay at, prices start at just 20 Euros for the whole package and go upto 100's of Euros. If you pay between 35-50 Euros, you should end up in a decent overnight camp.

We paid around 20 Euros each, the camp was very basic (but the evening meal was really nice).

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
10. Re: Desert tour - probably a stupid question...

Thanks MIB15. Your reply is much appreciated