We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Marrakech Help Please!!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
reviews: 6
General Marrakech Help Please!!

Hi

I am booking a weeks stay to Marrakech for June. I have booked Riu Tikida Palmeraie.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me...

Firstly, other than the shuttle bus I assume Taxis will be available, people on other forums have mentioned petit and grand taxis...What does that actually mean? and what prices should we expect?

Can anyone recommend any good trips and companies that provide them?

I would like to see the old town but i have seen people mention specific tours, would we need a specific tour guide, or could we go round them alone? I went to Egypt last year, so expect the same sort of "hassle" which was fine.

I would like to do a day trek in the Atlas Mountains and maybe visit a Kasbah, I have found the following itinerary from First Choice, yet it is £87...is that an average price I will find everywhere or are there better trips....

"2.5 hour drive through High Atlas Mountains to the Glaouis fortress of Telouet

Kasbah of Telouet - 30-minute tour

Drive to Ait Benhaddou

Lunch in the restaurant at Ait Benhaddou - one hour

Visit the Ait Benhaddou kasbah - one hour

Return to Marrakech via the Tichka Pass"

What other trips are advised? We don't feel the need to jam pack every day with a trip but would like to see as much as possible, else we might as well have gone to Spain! :)

Also, our holiday is all inclusive but we want to experience food outside the hotel, are there any recommended places to eat?

Sorry for all the rambling, I am rubbish at researching and never know what to trust, so I appreciate as much info as possible.

Thank you!

Abi

Merimbula, Australia
reviews: 1
21. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

We (in our early 70's but fit and well) are deciding to book 5 weeks in Marrakech from about 20/12/2013.We will want to do a few one or two day side trips but really we think we just want to wander around enjoying the culture and food at a leisurely pace.Any thoughts as to wether 5 weeks may be too long?

22. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:40 pm, October 28, 2013
Thornton Cleveleys...
reviews: 22
23. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

Having just visited Telouet, Ait Ben Haddou and many other kasbahs and ksars, I would strongly suggest that you do a bit of your own research before seeing them if you want to really understand what you are visiting.

Although there are guided tours available, the actual buildings are quite "bare" to anyone used to seeing historical monuments covered in photos and signs explaining their history. For example, you don't get little descriptions in each room saying "this was used for XYZ" so it can seem a little like just an abandoned mud castle to a European eye more used to information-heavy museums.

To be honest, the history is so complex and fascinating that it is well worth doing a bit of research before you travel - guidebooks offer a little info but it's not generally much use!

One book that is highly recommended on this forum is "Lords of The Atlas" by Gavin Maxwell and it really is an amazing read and adds so much to a visit to Telouet in particular. Otherwise, do a little Googling about the history of kasbahs and also of the Glaoui clan.

Despite my badgering, my husband hadn't bothered to delve into the mysteries of Moroccan history and, although he enjoyed the visit, he certainly didn't get as much out of it as I did. On the positive side, he's now started doing some reading so that he can look back at all our photos and relive it in his head!

24. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, June 01, 2013
Coventry, United...
reviews: 6
25. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

Thank you both, really helpful!

Really excited now! Abi

Yeovil, England...
26. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

Hi,

i have been told that you CAN NOT change the money in uk, it is a closed currancy. is this true?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
27. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

Basically yes Tracey. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocco:…

for more information.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 1
28. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

Hi Tracey!

Yes, it's true that you can not change your money in the UK! If you plan to visit Marrakech you will be able to change your money on your arrival at the Bireau de chance that you will find at the airport or you can use the ATMs machines from the airport and from all around the City to withdraw the money you need!And if after your trip you realise that there is plenty Moroccan money left you can change it back at the same bireau de change at the airport.

Yeovil, England...
29. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

thank you x

30. Re: General Marrakech Help Please!!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 21, 2014