We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 day itinerary: suggestions?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 5
16 day itinerary: suggestions?

going in Mid-April. Want to spend time mainly in South, but also include, if possible a trip to Fes. We are happy to rent our own car and/or hire driver at different points for a few days. We will likely fly to Casablanca and have no real interest in staying there.

How would you plan this trip? We, my husband and I, do like to spend time in places - roam around and even 'get lost'. Though we are "senior" citizens, we are seasoned travelers -- (ex Peace Corps types).

Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: 16 day itinerary: suggestions?

There are literally hundreds of Peace Corp volunteers all around Morocco often in the most remote villages. So if I read you right, you might be best off 'getting lost' on side roads and remote areas. Personally I'd take the train from Casablanca to Fez, spend a couple of days there, then rent a car with a Marrakech drop off for most of the rest of the time.

Nice and slow, stopping a lot, meandering around on side roads is the way I like to travel. April is normally a fantastic time to visit with loads of spring flowers--very green countryside--and reasonably long days.

As an example, try to visit Azrou (Middle Atlas 80km south of Fez) for the Tuesday morning market. Also try to get to see the wild monkeys, tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g616013-c145720/Azr…

Then travel south from Azrou through the cedar forests and karst limestone scenery of the Middle Atlas via Ain Leuh, Sources Oum er Riba, Azigza Aguelmane, then on to Khenifra.

From there travel south through the High Atlas via El Kebab and Imilchil, then down the Todra Gorge, morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

From Ouarzazate, I'd go west via Taliouine (saffron production) to Taroudannt, then south via Ait Baha to Tafroute in the Anti Atlas, morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Dixon
reviews: 17
2. Re: 16 day itinerary: suggestions?

My daughter and I spent 10 days last year. Whirlwind trip-Casablanca/Marrakech/Ouarzazate/Fez/Meknes/Rabat/Casablanca--a different riad every day. We loved every minute and crammed all the "must-sees" into that short time. But the pace was exausting.

This spring I'm going back alone and taking it easy--a week in Marrakech, a couple of days each in Beni Mellal, Essauira, El Jalida....

Fez is my favorite, but that city and the region deserves another vacation all by itself.

Getting lost in the medinas was wonderful, not stressful if you take the time to see,smell, taste, touch, hear and enjoy the chaos and then relax with a glass of mint tea on a terrace overlooking whatever city you are in.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 291
3. Re: 16 day itinerary: suggestions?

tim always has the best advice. will use some of his expertise next trip.

4. Re: 16 day itinerary: suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 05, 2014