We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malmesbury, United...
3 posts
Weather in January

We are travelling to Marrakech on 21st January for 4 nights and have no idea what clothes to pack. Will it be warm enough for tshirts in the day? we will be going into the atlas mountains for a day trip, will we need ski type clothes for this?

Also is it worth doing a day trip to the coast?

This will be our first trip to Morocco.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Weather in January

Hi,

Have a look in the weather information in the top questions box on the right of the page for seasonal averages. No-one can say what it "will" be like in mid January but an idea of what it "was" like over the last few years may help you pack!

As you only have 4 nights I'd suggest that one day trip is enough.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Weather in January

Agreed. One day trip is enough probably to a destination in the High Atlas (Ouirgane?) Essaouira on the coast is charming but can be very chilly in January due to the Atlantic winds. Best to pack light layers of clothing for day/night differentials in temperature as well as for altitude. A good pair of walking shoes would not go amiss either for the city or hillsides!

Ouarzazate, Morocco
Level Contributor
49 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Weather in January

Prepare for cold! Morocco is a mountain country. even in the desert dunes you are actually 800m above sea level. Marrakech is only 500m high, so it gets more warmer in the summer - then cold in the winter. BUT, this winter is quite chilly. In the evening you definitely need a jacket and better to get a scarf. during the day time you can manage with light clothes inside the medina, and possibly t-shirt outside in the sun. shadow walking is cold - open sky with sun is warmer. Essaouira is the best site for a day trip. if it "winds" -... well, it is the Moroccan wind city so you can't do anything about it. even in the summer is windy.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Weather in January

I am also going in Jan and am confused as to clothing. When you say jacket do you mean light jacket or more of a coat? I've ended up having to buy coats on three holidays so far due to the weather but I only have hand luggage for my trip this time so I don't really want to take a coat.

Thank you

Hannah.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Weather in January

wear your coat, hannah. you'll need it on your trip to the airport anyway. and if you have it on

a) it does not count as luggage with any airline

b) you can stuff the pockets with kindle. ipad, ipod, spare knickers, gloves, tissues and all sorts of non-liquid stuff and save space in your hand-baggage.

enjoy!

pam

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Weather in January

Haha brilliant, thank you Pam! As long as I dont get searched and they pull knickers out all over the airport haha

So excited!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Weather in January

presumably, you'd have undergarments in your case anyway, lol. you'll have to take off your coat at security and it goes through the scanner without you....

pam

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
8. Re: Weather in January

Pam - are you suggesting that you have stuffed knickers in your coat pockets and then denied that the coat belonged to you at security??? :)

Hannah - you will need a coat so definitely wear it.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Weather in January

no - but i might respond with shock and horror ' who put all those knickers in my pocket?'. i have also stuffed them in the pockets of my travelling companions.....you can NEVER have too many knickers.

and i have worn 3 outfits at once. and tied the laces of my son's trainers together and hung them round his neck while he wore his new ones. 38 degrees centegrade in jeans, with shorts under and a floor length skirt on top was no joke....;-)

i'm a grown up now though. i fly b.a. and get a decent baggage allowance...

pam

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Weather in January

My dad would always wear shorts under his jeans then as soon as we were off the plane slip off his jeans in the middle of wherever we were and carry them haha.

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech