We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December in Marrakech - thank you

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth
reviews: 30
December in Marrakech - thank you

We have just returned from 5 days in Marrakech and I would just like to say thank your for all the help people have given on this forum and I would say to anyone, to be as well prepared as possible. We really enjoyed our stay and loved the Souks. We didn't feel threatened at all and as advised a "non merci" worked wonders and yes, we were tricked - told the Musee de Photographie was closed due to an auction in the tanneries (to which we were promptly guided). I should have known better, but it was still really fascinating to see. We overspent on some items, but the price was okay for us. We took the advice to see the sunset at the Kosybar and what a lovely evening that was, really magical watching all the storks flying back. We visited the palaces, both totally different, but fascinating and the square in the evening, which again was totally different. We managed a trip to the Atlas Mountains which we enjoyed, but because we went to Ourika, I think was slightly touristy. We were taken to a Berber House which was amazing. Thank you again for your help and Marrakech is just an amazing place, full of humour, colours and smells.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: December in Marrakech - thank you

And thank you harryh52 for reporting back to the forum. I'm delighted that you had an enjoyable time (despite the tanneries scam!)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
2. Re: December in Marrakech - thank you

I'm reading this in a café in London and fellow customers are interested why I laughed out loud... Closed due to the tanneries auction... LOL

Glad you enjoyed yourself and are able to laugh at the little tricks.

UK
reviews: 3
3. Re: December in Marrakech - thank you

Glad you enjoyed yourself - you did many of the same things as we did, except we weren't taken in by the "XXX is closed today because of YYY - I'll take you to the tanneries instead" trick.

Question for the experts: Why is it ALWAYS the tanneries they want to take you to, and why does absolutely everyone you speak to try to take you there? They can't all be getting a kick-back, surely?! It just became a running joke with us - wherever we wanted to go, the tanneries were always better! :D

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
4. Re: December in Marrakech - thank you

The tanneries seem to have the most forceful and intimidating salespeople in town so many people are browbeaten into buying something they don't want and yes, everyone who "guides" a tourist there who subsequently buys something will get their kick-back.

Also the tanneries are quite hard to find on your own and far from most other tourist attractions so you may feel lost and obliged to pay someone to help.

Anyone hiring a guide for a half day tour should ask to be taken to the tanneries as part of their tour as the guide will act as a buffer.

UK
reviews: 3
5. Re: December in Marrakech - thank you

That explains it then. It's obvious when you say it of course - why should they direct people to the Medersa when they could be spending money at the tanneries?

Edited: 11:11 am, December 30, 2012
6. Re: December in Marrakech - thank you

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 06, 2014