We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 o 3 day tour to the desert?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
2 o 3 day tour to the desert?

What would you recommend? Zagora o Merzouga desert?

Thanks!

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: 2 o 3 day tour to the desert?

Click here for lots of information:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k3995…

(link taken from "Top Questions" - top right of screen.) Welcome to Marrakech forum vickini.

Merzouga
2. Re: 2 o 3 day tour to the desert?

If you have time and want to discover the real big sand dunes, Merzouga option will be better, at least 3 days tour. Zagora trip is just to have the experiance to ride camels and spend your night in a Berber camping.

Good luck

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
3. Re: 2 o 3 day tour to the desert?

Youssef from Merzouga is probably a teeny bit biased.

Erg Chigaga near Zagora is the larger of the two sand dune areas in Morocco. Both have their plus points. Do some research reading guidebooks and past threads to find out more. Plan on spending *at least* four days on the trip if starting/finishing in Marrakech.

Ouarzazate, Morocco
reviews: 77
4. Re: 2 o 3 day tour to the desert?

The highest dunes are actually in Merzouga. Zagora basically has no dunes (unless you're talking about the one existing big dune 18km from there called Tinfou Dunes - very nice surrounding landscape indeed). If you go southern to Mhamid 96km, and then get more 60km you'll finally arrive to Chegaga Dunes. I lived 1 year in Merzouga and 3 years 30km from Merzouga. My sincere opinion is that both dunes have the same color, the same grain thickness, the same sun set color, the same sun rise color. they are the same type of sand. the only difference is that Chegaga are more wider in territory and erg chebbi are higher in height. erg chebbi dunes aka merzouga have half region with some villages and hotels, and the other half is still virgin and untouched. chegaga has only some few desert camps. so my call is definitely : Erg Chebbi Dunes - merzouga, but if you can manage to get yourself to Chegaga ofcourse they are also worth visiting - plus Tinfou on the way.

5. Re: 2 o 3 day tour to the desert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 05, 2014