We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salad!!!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester England
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Salad!!!

I notice a lot of the set meals , riad meals etc start with salad. Yet I have also read that you should not eat salad. So what do people do and is it likely to be washed in bottled or local water

Debs

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
24 reviews
11. Re: Salad!!!

I love the salads and fruit and eat it all without any bother at all but we always make sure to take a course of good quality, wide-range prebiotics before we travel.

I personally like BioKult because it contains a great variety of strains but Optibac do a travel prebiotic or you can buy things like Prebio 7 from Boots or Holland and Barratt. Try starting a course 6 weeks before travel, if possible, or otherwise start as soon as you can prior to going and continue with the capsules whilst you're there.

Remember that the heat can sometimes be responsible for a funny tummy as can drinking large amounts of fresh orange juice (which you will definitely do in Marrakech!) so it isn't always the fault of food if it happens.

You are also far more likely to get an upset tummy if you are one of these people who disinfects everything in their home and used antibacterial handwash all the time. It stops your natural immunity from building up so whenever you come into contact with an unknown bug, your body simply cannot fight it.

Make sure you either wash your hands or use an antibacterial handspray before eating while you are there as you will have been touching money etc and if you then pick up bread to put in your mouth, you will give yourself a big dose of germs. I've eaten food without washing hands and I've eaten unwashed fruit from outdoor stalls with no ill effects whatsoever BUT I do seemingly have an "iron gut" according to my husband!

The prebiotics route is definitely the best advice for avoiding holiday tummy.

Level Contributor
4,646 posts
9 reviews
12. Re: Salad!!!

It was the optibac I was lookiing to buy, but thank for the info on the other brands, I knew Boots did one but couldnt for the life of me remember the name,lol.

Thanks again.

Julie :-D

13. Re: Salad!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:29 am, October 29, 2013
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
116 reviews
14. Re: Salad!!!

The Moroccan cooked salads are wonderful. I avoid cold salads unless in larger dependable hotels.

Taroudannt...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
3 reviews
15. Re: Salad!!!

Most restaurants and cafes have a sink for the purpose of washing hands located near the entrance. Moroccans, even street people, are scrupulous about washing hands before eating.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
31 reviews
16. Re: Salad!!!

i have eaten street food all over the world with no ill effects. on the other hand, i have suffered very serious food poisoning, not just 'travellers tummy' but hallucinations, rigor and other very nasty symptoms, in a five star hotel.

in marrakech, i used my own cutlery. i was scrupulous about hand washing and using anti-bac gel. and i used my own drinking straws, which i took with me.

obsessive? i don't think so. the orange juice stalls have boxes of straws on their counters. i saw people take straws, use them, then put them straight back in the box! on a trip out, we saw glasses and straws swilled briefly in river water then re-used.

neither of us suffered in the slightest during our ten-day trip. use common sense, keep your own hands clean, drink bottled water and limit the fruit juices. remember that money is FILTHY.

pam

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
291 posts
131 reviews
17. Re: Salad!!!

I had no issues whilst in Marrakech, despite having the most sensitive stomach in the UK. Just take hand sanitiser as it's often not the food but things you've picked up from money and door handles.

The salads will mostly be gorgeous cooked ones. How I wish that's what I had for supper earlier and not left over Xmas cake!

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
18. Re: Salad!!!

what are pre biotics?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
9,097 posts
317 reviews
19. Re: Salad!!!

in the US they call them, "pro biotics" and we take them to keep the digestion tract have a healthy balance of the "good" bacteria. especially, when taking antibiotics, which seem to kill anything, this feeds the digestion with the good bacteria. always a good idea to carry them with you.

also, i agree, there are many "cooked" salads in morocco and we ate plenty. never even a gurgle..well, i had too many dates and olives a few times, but that was self induced..and i would do it again!!

the food in morocco is amazing.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
31 reviews
20. Re: Salad!!!

'pre' and 'pro' biotics are, according to this article, not the same thing

bimuno.com/prebiotic-power-for-your-gut/…

do note - the link is for a company selling the things. i am not endorsing them in any way - just thought a bit more info might help.

personally, i tried a yoghurt - type drink before one trip but can't say it made much difference. hygeine is the key.

pam