We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salad!!!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester England
reviews: 11
Salad!!!

I notice a lot of the set meals , riad meals etc start with salad. Yet I have also read that you should not eat salad. So what do people do and is it likely to be washed in bottled or local water

Debs

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
1. Re: Salad!!!

Have only been unfortunate to sufer from serious tummy upset in Tanger. Marrakech, Agadir, Essaouira, Chef, Imlil and others presented no problem.

You could omit the salad and just eat whatever else is on offer, but be sure it is piping hot to show it has been properly cooked. Also, you could either eat with your fingers (wash hands first!) or use your own cutlery.

There have been numerous postings on the subject which you could check out by enterring something suitable in the search box above the forum posts.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
2. Re: Salad!!!

Hi,

There are a lot of cooked salads served in Morocco (cooked peppers or aubergine for example served cold).

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
3. Re: Salad!!!

It is likely that salad is washed in tap water. The tap water is safe to drink however it is likely to be a different mineral content to your UK home supply.

I have eaten salad without any ill effects. I would say go easy on the salad during the first few days of your stay, as I always think this is the time when your body is adjusting to the changes (weather temperature, diet, hydration, travel, etc.).

I agree with Shimmin's suggestion of trying the cooked salads. The aubergine is yummy!

4. Re: Salad!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:30 am, October 29, 2013
Chester England
reviews: 11
5. Re: Salad!!!

ok thanks for replies. I do tend to get a jippy stomach wherever I go so am sort of expecting it, but want to [prevent my son feeling ill if at all possible. we are staying in 2 different riads. No mention of anyone getting sick while staying in either, so hopefully ok

thanks

debs

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
6. Re: Salad!!!

Hi,

The courgette with cumin is also pretty mouth watering.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 6
7. Re: Salad!!!

For a majority of Moroccans any cooked veg is a salad.

I'd be wary of raw tomatoes and cucumber, vinegar and onion which is another common salad especially as street food is exposed to dust all day long and hygiene leaves something to be desired.

Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
8. Re: Salad!!!

Eat everything well cooked, piping hot, fruits peel, skip lettuce.

John W - strange to read about tummy upsets in Finland, indeed! I live there now at the moment, and have had nothing unusual, on the contrary everything is superclean, perhaps that is the reason that our bodies are not used to the "usual bacterial". after having said that, yes, the water is very hard, stings eyes and skin gets red.

9. Re: Salad!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:30 am, October 29, 2013
reviews: 6
10. Re: Salad!!!

Totally agree with John W, its getting your gut use to the change in everything, and yes, people are so fast to blame hotel food,lol.

Ive heard and read great stories about pre biotics which you start taking a week or two before travel, im giving them a go when I go to Tunisia in April, the condition the gut with good bacteria. Cant do any harm, my friend always got what she thought was food poisoning when travelling, until she took pre biotics, never had a bad tummy since, shes goes away 3 times a year, all over the world.