We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Riad Query - help!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 2
Another Riad Query - help!

I have been searching through trip advisor, the forum and also my lonely planet and now have ended up more confused than ever!

I thought that I had narrowed it down to Dar el Souk or Les Jardins de Mouassine, however I would really appreciate your thoughts.

My issue is that Les Jardins looks like it is rather big, like a hotel - is this right or does it still retain the Riad feeling? However I am unsure about Dar el Souk as it doesn't look like it has a pool.

We will be there from 10 June to 17 June. I note that there have been several comments about the need for a pool in July and August due to the heat - I am assuming that this would also be the case for mid-June!

Also my dear father has offered to pay, however I really don't want him to pay more than 70 euros (or so) per night for the both of us (we would be sharing a twin).

After all of that - can anyone recommend either of those two riads or is there something else that would fit into our price range?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am very wary that I if I don't book soon, it won't be a matter of choice!

Cheers.

Alicante, Spain
1. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

Hola! I have booked in Jardins de Mouassine a 70 euro double room for next weekend (11th of May). I though myself also about Riad dar el Souk but truebeliver (who seems to know a lot about Marrakech) advised me on the first one. If you want you can read his comments about it, go to my old post Riads in Marrakesh, please help me! from the 26th of April.

Really all I can do is give you my opinion when I am back. What about that?

Un saludo,

Cristina

London
2. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

Thank you Minicris!

I had seen Truebeliever's post however I still wasn't sure! As my father is flying all the way over from NZ for this one week, I want to make sure that it is fun.

Let me know how you go, however I think that Les Jardin will be it! As I said, I am more worried about not booking and then being limited with my options!

Now I have to plan the tour into the desert - so many to choose from (although I note that Les Jardin were kind enough to email me about one, however at a cost of 450 euros per person! It must have been with a private driver/guide!

Alicante, Spain
3. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

Hola kiwichicknik !

I will let you know how it goes in Les Jardins...I've got a good feeling, Truebeliver seems to know alot about everything...(I've reading all his posts)

Anyway, about the desert, why don't you ask them directly on the forum about it, sure they will help (they know a lot of people)...I think they a bit tire of advising on accomodations, that' s why they didn't asnwer to your post before...

Also I'm pretty sure I've read lots of stuff on the forum about trips to the desert but since we are staying short time im Marrakech haven't pay too much attention to them. Spent some time reading old posts, that's what I would do.

Saludos from the sunny Spain!

Cristina

Alicante, Spain
4. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

Check this post...

Can anyone recomend whitecamel.com?

Alicante, Spain
5. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

Hola kiwichicknik1

We just got back from Marrakech, loved it!!! I'm hoping to go back once a year.

About Les Jardins de Mouassine I must say that it was quite good but we may try a new place next time probably. The riad itself it's very nice, much smaller than what the photos show though, the location superb (I won't change that) our room was heading the main door and for that it was quite noisy, the bed a bit too hard for me (another thing I didn't like), the bathroom fantastic and the terrace above and the breakfast quite good (ask for the creps- I don't think they cook them everyday).

Anyway, there are two bedrooms in the terrace floor (2nd floor)which look pretty good, more private,see if those are available and avoid our room- Taryala.

Hope this helps! Saludos

Cristina

London
6. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

Hi Minicris,

Thank you for the information. We have a twin room which means that we probably don't have much choice! It is a pity that it isn't as good as it looks on the web. It is just so hard trying to find something without paying a fortune!

Did you organise for them to pick you up from the airport? I see that they have this service for 10 euros.

Are there any other handy hints that you have?

Did you do a tour? Did you use whitecamel/omar?

Thanks Minicris!

7. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:26 am, March 21, 2011
Alicante, Spain
8. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

Hola again kiwichicknik !!!

Don't get me wrong! Really the riad in general is lovely (I'm sure you are going to like it) it is only that our room was a bit noisy, the rest of it it's very nice ( you'll see) the location can not be any better and for the price it's in general very very good. Really, me thinking on going to a new one next time is because there are so many riads to choose that I would like to try as many as possible and also was hoping to increase my budget for next time.

Yes, we had the riad to arrange a taxi picking us up from the airport, don't even doubt about it, that it's so covenient (for us a lot since our suitcase never arrived...) the first feeling when you go into the medina is a bit strange and more if you arrive at night, so having someone to take you into the hotel is perfect!!

Hints;

I can't recommend about trips, we only had very short time so we stayed in Marrakech (for us it was only a weekend trip to see the city and do some shopping). If you are hoping to do some shopping in the souks my recomendation is to get a street map of the Medina and if you see something that you really like but don't want to buy until you compare, mark the place in the map otherwise it will be very difficult to find it later on (belive me it happened to us).Pay max. 1/3 of the initial asking price, if you walk out of the shop they will sell for the price you last set up.

Just try to enjoy the whole enviroment from the beggining don't worry about safety (I felt save at all time) the area of the riad and where all the souks are it is very save.

Don't hesitate asking if you have any more questions.

Un saludo,

Cristina

UK
9. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

I've found your comments very useful in our endless internet search for a good riad, Minichris, and we'll probably end up trying to book Les Jardins Mouassine for my wife, myself and two teenagers. Do all rooms have showeres, or do some only have a bath? And apart from the room you were so unfortunate to get, are the rest pretty quiet at night?

cheers

Alicante, Spain
10. Re: Another Riad Query - help!

Hola!

Yes, it seems to me all rooms have showers (very very nice I must say, I'm not sure about bath...) you can ask Chantal (chantalelkaim@yahoo.fr) she's in charge of bookings and she is very kind and useful...

I wouldn't think that the other rooms are as noisy as our was since really all the noyse was comming from the street, as you will see if you finally visit the riad the bedrooms doors are very beautiful but pretty rustic and the locks can also be a bit noisy but that's all...

Enjoy Marrakech, I loved it!!!!!!

Saludos,

Cristina