We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
reviews: 1
Day Trips

Going to Marrakech mid Jan for a week and staying all inclusive at Rui Tikida Palmeraie mainly because the deal was so cheap and reviews good. A riad would have been more my scene but price determined it.

Looking to do a couple of day trips but looking for advice on whether to do the regular organised Thomson trips which normally I would avoid or do our own thing.

Would like to go to Atlas mountains for a day but probably not overnight due to additional costs involved. Would like to see more of the real Morocco and Berber village etc and some of the scenery. Happy to do some walking and going to waterfalls etc but don't really want to take proper hiking gear to do that kind of thing. If we organised our own car/driver how would we go about this? Would it be more expensive for 2 people? Where would we tell the driver we wanted to go?

Also would like to go a day trip to Essoura but same questions. Should we do it with our own car/driver? Would it cost more? What should we tell the driver we want to do?

Really don't want to do an organised trip and end up squashed in a mini bus going round tourist scams.

Other than those 2 day trips our plans would be to relax, go into the medina a couple of days and definately at night. Probably taking the hotels shuttle bus to do this. Does all this sound ok? Is there anything major we should be doing that I havn't thought about? How much would a taxi back to the hotel be if we miss the airport shuttle back?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

1. Re: Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:31 am, October 29, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
2. Re: Day Trips

Hi,

The staff in the hotel reception (rather than the Thomson rep) will be able to put you in touch with a driver for day trips. He will have contacts for guided walks in the mountains for example. Read up on visiting the Atlas mountains and choose what you would like to experience then you can discuss your ideas with the driver to come up with a day to suit you.

If you are happy with the driver you can organise for him to drive you to Essaouira and back as a day trip. Supratours offer one guaranteed return triip per day leaving at 09.00 and leaving Essaouira at 17.00 for 100 Dirhams each way.

If you are in Marrakech medina later than the bus transfer you will probably have to pay 100 to 150 Dirhams for a taxi if you just flag one down but have a look at the petit taxis posts in the top questions box on the right of the page in particular the information about taxis vert.

Edited: 10:29 am, December 24, 2012
Casablanca
3. Re: Day Trips

Hi Andy;

welcome to Morocco Travel forum.

by the way i agree with John, you don't need to hire a driver to go to Essaouira you can just take the supratours bus and enjoy your journey there then back to Marrakech later afternoon.

For the High atlas Mountains too, you can hire a car and drive yourself or going in a group of Tours near the jemaa el Fna many Travel agencies can take you with a good and cheap price exploring the berber villages and the real Moroccan life by the locals.

for more information use the link on the right side of your screen for Tour companies and Guide in case you want to book online.

For Essaouira check the Timetables for the Bus at the Train website : www.oncf.ma

Have a nice trip.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
4. Re: Day Trips

Hire a driver for the day to take you to the Atlas mountains, it should cost a total of around £70 (for a private driver with a 7 seater type vehicle). This way you can go where you want to (and stop off where you want). Ask to goto either Setti Fatima to see the waterfalls (going through the Ourika Valley) or to Imlil (going through the Ouiranne Valley). Both can be done as daytrips and no equipment will be needed.

Agree with the previous posts about getting the coach to Essaouira, if you can spend 1 night there, it will make the trip a lot more pleasant and relaxing (Essaouira is a total contrast to Marrakech and should be done in a relaxed manner).

Avoid the Thomson rep unless you want to be squashed in a van and taken to just about every commission stop along the route.........

Edited: 5:37 pm, December 24, 2012
North Yorkshire...
reviews: 232
5. Re: Day Trips

Hey MIB15 I think I saw you recommend a private driver on another thread? is that right? Can you negoatiate with your driver for a shorter day for slightly less money. We would rather do two smaller trips than one big one as I think as soon as you start to get tired it stops becoming enjoyable. We are not too bothered where we go as long as we leave our hotel safely and comfortable a couple of times. My husband has had both his knees and hips replaced and has early Parkinsons which makes him tire a bit more easily although still a fairly healthy individual otherwise - but I was thinking the waterfalls would be a no no as there is walking over difficult surfaces when you get there? 2 times 5 hour trips would suit us if you can suggest anything. I can put this on a new thread if you think that would be best?

North Yorkshire...
6. Re: Day Trips

We will also by there in January (21st for a week) if that has any bearing.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
7. Re: Day Trips

Going to Setti Fatima (through the Ourika Valley), is usually a short day trip, you leave Marrakech at around 10am and you are back at 4-5pm. You dont have to walk up to see the waterfalls there, you can simply stop off a few times on the way to the village, see the Berber houses and the views of the valleys.

Another trip you can do is to goto Imlil or Asni (through the Ouirganne Valley), you go in the opposite direction to the Ourika Valley and the views are different.

I think it would be better to agree a fee for the driver beforehand for a shorter day, then if needed pay a little extra if you go on for longer. I dont think it would be fair to agree a fee and then try to negotiate it down on the day if you wanted a shorter trip.

Try to find a recommended driver either on these forums (or through your hotel/riad), there are some really good drivers in Marrakech but there are also some terrible ones............

North Yorkshire...
8. Re: Day Trips

thank you - I shall look into both those suggestions. I have only just decided to do this trip over the last couple of days but I have a guide book winging it's way to me.

I would definitely negotiate fully with the driver before hand - But what would be a usual tip if you have had a safisfactory trip? We do like to be fair whilst at the same time avoiding being ripped off. :)

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 20
9. Re: Day Trips

Hi andy/ jean s

You say mid jan? We are heading out 19 th jan for the week although staying with a relation over ther. First time visiting so hoping to do some tours also. We were waiting until we got there and hopefully having a 'local' with us would help negotiate a better price. Theres onky two if us so Perhaps if either of u wanted to do any of the same trips we could book together and split the cost? X

north yorkshire
reviews: 104
10. Re: Day Trips

Hi again Jean. We went to Marrakech two years ago and took the Supratours bus to Essaouira - wonderful little town, much more laid back than the bustling marrakech. The bus was just fine with a 15 minute stop half way for comfort breaks. Only tip re. Marrakech. Watch out for flying motor bikes in the medina in Marrakech - my husband got knocked down by one on the last night!!!!! Other than that enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of this fascinating city.