We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tokyo, Japan
I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

Travellers should be aware that negative opinions of Marrakech aren't welcome on this forum. I've witnessed it many times, if someone says a negative thing, they're made out to be too idiotic to have understood the culture.

I 'got' the culture. The culture is largely one of deceit and bleeding tourists of money by any means necessary. I've never felt so unsafe in an area before in my life. I saw a man getting beaten with a chair, and police stood by ignoring it. Every corner has young men and children waiting to jump on tourists to try and get money, by pretending to be from restaurants, wanting to show directions to an imaginary market or just to outright intimidate you. 'Culture' isn't an excuse for liars and cheats.

The defenders will say I didn't get it, I did something wrong, or that I'm in the minority. Reading opinions outside this forum, I know I'm not.

Marrakech has its charms, and it's worth going to experience something different, but be cautious of this forum, it's best to also look elsewhere for a less bias perspective.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

Hi Lisa M,

What a shame you didn't make use of the forum to ask questions before your visit. People may have been able to help you avoid the problems you seem to have encountered.

Some people don't enjoy Marrakech, others love it. Some people seem to attract negative experiences others never feel unsafe or hassled at all. Each to their own.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.

2. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:21 am, October 29, 2013
leeds uk
reviews: 7
3. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

I first went to Marrakech at the beginning of last year and went back 4 times in the following 12 months. I also am widely traveled and went purely on a reccomend. The place is a total assault on the senses, busy vibrant and the culture is fantastic!!!. I would reccomend this city to anyone who enjoys unspoiled culture, however if you go and it's not for you, you gave it a try and built on your experiences. No need to paint the whole city as full of thieves and deceit!!!!!! this is extremely rude to the decent people who live there. As for been unsafe! Act like a victim and you will be!!! A polite no thank you worked for us.

marrakech, morocco
4. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

Hi there,

Marrakech is definitely like marmite - you love or hate it - I personally love it sometimes and hate it sometimes!

To the poster: I'm not sure why you have started on a defensive - it is a new post so it is not a response to something someone else has said. You certainly don't have to like somewhere if you don't want to.

I'm not sure it is a question of understanding 'culture' - not everyone goes on holiday to understand culture - that is a personal interest and down to the ways people take their holidays - Marrakech is certainly great for experiencing a 'different' culture and fascinating history, however, equally it is a great place to shop and sunbathe! I do think you confuse culture with 'what you personally saw and experienced and interpreted - culture is not theft and deceit - certainly there are people, particularly in the main tourist centre around the square who certainly want to make money out of tourists and will go to great lengths to do so. Its the same in most major tourist destinations worldwide

It is important to always look for the positives - to stay positive - to find little moments of joy in what can be a challenging, intense experience on one hand, or a massive, colourful adventure on the other. The buildings, the archways and doors, the food, the smells, the winding souqs made of red earth, and the many Really Nice Generous people - this is also part of Marrakech culture.

Marrakech gets a bad press sometimes often due to the sweeping statements made by those who 'don't like it' - this is why Marrakech supporters like to provide an alternative viewpoint. That's the whole point of debates like these on TA and that is great, no?

Best wishes to all for the wonderful 2013

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
5. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

I think you are getting "Character" confused with "Culture".

There are many characters in Marrakech who will take advantage of you if you let them, this has nothing to do with the "culture" of Moroccans.

Agree totally with what Shimmin said, it's a shame you did not ask more questions and were not more prepared before going to Marrakech.......

In my 8 trips to Morocco I have seen many fights, not just in Marrakech but also in Fes (including 2 people fighting with metal bars and on another occasion somebody trying to do a "Bruce Lee type" flying kick........), I think it is a way of life and of sorting problems out there and then, it is not right but that is the way some people work. BUT you have to differentiate between locals fighting each other and locals fighting tourists, I have never seen a tourist being attacked, if I did, I am sure I would intervene and I am sure the Police would too.

I have never been to Tokyo, but I can guarantee you that on a Friday or Saturday night in Cardiff, UK, you will see many fightis late in the night, yes the police will stop it and maybe that is the difference.

You are entitled to your opinions and everybody on these forums should respect that (just as you should respect other people opinions)..........

Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
6. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

Personally, I have never felt safer than in Marrakech, compared to European cities. It is a pity that the lady from Tokio did not really grasp the meaning of the word "culture".

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
7. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

Personally I'd be very interested to hear what the OP has to say about the responses to her post.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
8. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

Clip clop, clip clop -- sound of the Billy Goats Gruff headed for the bridge under which lives the Giant TROLL.

Single post, moan and run. What's the point in seriously responding?

9. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:21 am, October 29, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 8
10. Re: I did 'get' Marrakech. It just isn't very nice.

It's like saying if you go to Morocco don't eat Moroccan. The food is bland, dirty and expensiv, so someone hammered out on this forum until he had enough and dropped. Violence is rampant because of poverty and alcohol and drugs and homelessness.

Luckily for us people don't have guns as somewhere else

I agree either you like Marrakech or hate it but you won't know until you visit

Merry Chrismas and happy new year everyone