We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

own car from spain

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dubai
own car from spain

Hi all, i have read lot's of post's re driving in Morroco. Am i wise or not in taking my own high value vehicle on the ferry from Spain to Morroco to tour for 2 weeks or more (i am in no hurry). Are motel type accomadations available whilst "on the road"? It would be my intention to plan a route from the bigger cities staying in good quality hotels where i would spend a few day's each time traveling out on day trips to to see sites then move on. Is this practical??

Having lived in Dubai for more than 30 years i will not be dissapointed if i don't see a camel.

Any information would helpful

Regards

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
1. Re: own car from spain

You'll see some extremely high-value vehicles on the roads in Morocco. No problems taking your own vehicle, some information of ferries at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

And some information on temporary import forms (print before you leave home) at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Motels? I only know of two in the whole country, but no shortage of hotels. My main advice would be to not be ambitious in distances covered, and to try to get off the main roads and onto the side roads to see more of the country.

London, United...
reviews: 7
2. Re: own car from spain

Be prepared for absolute hell at the Moroccan ports , coming in , and going out . You will be fleeced by all the so called officials , and end up buying the wrong ferry ticket etc . I have done it many times , and I still find it very stressful and intimidating . You really have to have your wits about you . Also, be careful of the police in morocco , they will stop you and say you were speeding ( even if you were not ) and will demand money from you . As for having a high end car , expect scratches on it after a matter of hours in the country . !!! Sorry to sound negative , but I am only telling he truth , despite what others may say on this forum .

dubai
3. Re: own car from spain

Hi, thanks Patrick and Tim, points taken on board. Will have to give it some thought. Bob

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
4. Re: own car from spain

With an expensive vehicle you may be stopped at more police check points just because the policemen want to look at, and admire, the car.

5. Re: own car from spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 28, 2013