We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 7
Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Ok, so came back from MRK last week. One thing I observed and was very perplexed about was the significance and use of a pedestrian (zebra) crossing. Seems to me (from fresh experience) that these serve no purpose whatsover and are simply ignored by drivers. Crossing the main wide roads and I was dicing with death. I even had a run in with 1 driver as I was halfway across the crossing he sowed no signs of stopping. I angrily gestured to him the black and white blocks on the road and he started pointing aggrevisely to his chest as to say that it was his right of way!! Could someone who knows the correct procedure for using these so called crossing set the record straight. I'm sure it will help any future visitors to Marrakech regarding this issue.

11. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:16 am, October 29, 2013
London
12. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Thanks for the replies. my situation was that as described by heresmyreply. crossed at a red traffic light (for vehicles) got halfway and thats when the fun started. I think when crossing the roads the best procedure to adopt is the tastic used in the game leapfrog.

As an added note.... the mopeds in the medina! they are everywhere and contribute to the air pollution in the city. As a tip always walk on the far side, away from the middle of the lane and if you have a young child or even a teenager, make sure they are walking on the inside.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
13. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

As a tip always walk on the right hand side of the street and let the mopeds dodge round you ;-) It's vaguely safer that way.

Dingwall, United...
reviews: 98
14. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Have faith and step out.........there is no other way!

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
15. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Pilobolus2011, how right you are, lol, as a granny I decided many many years ago that it is far easier to cross the road at zebra crossings and are of the opinion that is quicker for the driver to stop than have to do the necessary paperwork and explanations if they knock me down, perhaps I am foolhardy, but it works for me and several of my granny friends who come and have a holiday with me.

16. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:16 am, October 29, 2013
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 27
17. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

This thread has given me the biggest smile. I'm so loving it cos it's all so so true !!!!

Good points made, great advice, and gloriously funny anecdotes!

Mboni Chrismen, Joyeux Noel, Merry Christmas to everyone.

Drummermum:)

Edited: 7:22 pm, December 21, 2012
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
reviews: 161
18. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

I'm going to Marrakech on Boxing Day for four nights with my daughter and it sounds as if experience in Egypt will be very useful.

Taroudannt...
reviews: 3
19. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Most of the comments I have read express the advice that "this is Morocco" and don't expect to find here what you take for granted at home.

I remember one thing that impressed me the one time that I had to go to Ceuta, the Spanish enclave in the north of Morocco, to renew my visa. If a pedestrian steps off the curb at one of the marked crossings, all traffic immediately pulls to a stop until the person has completely crossed the street.

But in Morocco, don't take anything for granted. Simply wait until the way is clear, and even then keep your eyes wide open for unexpected bicycles!

London, United...
20. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Always cross with a local , so they are on the side of the oncoming traffic , and you will be fine 100% success rate !