We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol in Morocco

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Alcohol in Morocco

Can you buy alcohol in Marrakech for personal consumption . .

25 replies to this topic
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
1. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

Yes there are numerous supermarkets and shops in the new city areas which sell alcohol. If you say where you intend to stay we can tell you where the nearest shop is.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
2. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

Hi,

Yes you can.

There are Hotels and restaurants all over the city which sell alcohol and several supermarkets with alcohol for sale as well as licenced alimentation outlets where Moroccans and tourists can buy alcohol.

Why did you think it may be a problem?

norfolk
reviews: 30
3. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

there are, as far as i know, no shops selling alcohol inside the medina. most riads serve alcohol to their guest, however, and this is usually mentioned on their websites. as for cafes and restaurants, a few serve alcohol in the area of the square, there is the Kosy Bar in the Kasbah, and most of the riad-based restaurants.

outside the medina, many places serve alcohol.

pam

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
reviews: 158
4. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

Buying alcohol in itself is not a problem, but I think difficulties can arise depending on your location. We did walk along Avenue Mohammed V into Gueliz on our first day and managed to find one licensed outlet. But as we were in the Medina (and on the side furthest from Gueliz) we didn't fancy going back to Gueliz just to buy alcohol.

Our riad only served breakfast, but as we'd struck up a very good relationship with our hosts, we asked if they might be able to get us some wine to drink at the riad - and the following day very kindly they obliged.

Re: Kozy Bar - we walked past each day and the wine prices looked reasonable (beer in comparison seemed expensive). Kozy Bar is in the Place des Ferblantiers which I understood was on the edge of the Mellah, not the Kasbah.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
5. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

The Kosybar is on the border of both the Mellah and rhe Kasbah so you are both right!

6. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:33 am, October 29, 2013

norfolk
reviews: 30
7. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

i second the Gris. not our usual style preference - but we liked it so much we had it most evenings.

pam

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 48
8. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

Quite frankly, we found no restaurants serving alcohol in Marrakech, Casablanca or Fes, our riads did not serve alcohol (though they happily chilled wine we bought at a supermarket). We stayed in the medina in Marrakech and Fes and could find nowhere there that served alcohol nearby. Our hotel in Casa would serve at their restaurant or in the room. My advice is to buy it at a supermarket and take it with you.

It is quite possible that there are places serving alcohol, but they are not recognisable to the casual tourist. For a meal with alcohol, check and plan in advance.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
9. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

Just ask your riad management for outlets (bars/retaurants) serving alcohol.- there are many in Marrakech, including the medina.

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 20
10. Re: Alcohol in Morocco

We were served alcohol in the first resturant we visited: Cafe Arabe and were provided with a (very good)bottle of wine each night in our riad (The Papillon) I don't think these two establishments are unusual in doing so,

Reply to: Alcohol in Morocco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted