We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to travel from Zagora to Essaouira in a day?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid, Spain
Possible to travel from Zagora to Essaouira in a day?

I'm planning an eight day trip to Morocco, starting in Marrakech. I was thinking of staying two days in Marrakech, then taking the bus to Zagora, spending one night there then doing a night in the desert. From there I would like to go to Essaouira, but there are no buses. Has anyone traveled this distance in a shared taxi? About how much would this cost?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 10
1. Re: Possible to travel from Zagora to Essaouira in a day?

That's a minimum 10 hrs drive. Unfortunately you will need to get back to Marrakech before heading to Essaouira..If you can catch an early bus from Zagora and then a late bus from Marrakech to Essaouira it will save lots of money. Otherwise it will be very expensive for a solo traveller to hire a taxi or even to share one if others are available

Casablanca
2. Re: Possible to travel from Zagora to Essaouira in a day?

Agree with Truebeliever but if you will be using the bus will take around 12 hours drive, and in the Rental car or a 4*4 will take maximum 10 hours driving.

if you will be using the bus just go to Marrakech first and take supratours bus to Essaouira.

check the Supratours and CTM bus: www.oncf.ma / www.ctm.ma

Happy Travels.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 59
3. Re: Possible to travel from Zagora to Essaouira in a day?

It is not necessary to have 4x4, that road is with asphalt, so it is OK by normal car. In your case I would probably take the car, not use bus. You have only 10 days, want to do such long journey so rent a car is my suggestion.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
4. Re: Possible to travel from Zagora to Essaouira in a day?

Going back to Marrakech first is one option but you can also cut across at Agdz below Ouarzazate and head for Talouine then Agadir. This is probably quicker as there's no major mountain pass to cross.

Having said that, you are doing a massive amount of travelling in what is only eight days. Better to slow down, see more.

Edited: 9:53 am, December 10, 2012
5. Re: Possible to travel from Zagora to Essaouira in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 17, 2013