We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

Travel to Morroco on passport which expires in under 6 months

Hi,

I booked a short trip to Marrakech, Morroco from 17th December to 20th December 2012. I later found out (on irish foreign affairs website) that apparently your EU passport should technically be valid for 6 months but mine expires in April 2013. I have looked on the Morroco foreign affairs website also and it says (in french) for package hotels (return/roundtrip flights) you just need a passport which covers the length of stay in Morroco. Has anyone else been to Morroco for a short stay on passport which expires in less than 6 months. Should I try and get an emergency passport or will I be ok? I've seen some other posts saying people have had no problems and have also asked the Riad we'll be staying at and they seem to think it will be no problem either.

thanks

norfolk
reviews: 31
1. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

the advice from the british foreign office for uk passport-holders is here

fco.gov.uk/en/…entryRequirements

definitly must be valid for six months from date of entry.

even if people on this forum tell you it will be ok, your real problem is you may not be allowed to fly. airlines are fined heavily for transporting people who are refused entry: so they check your paperwork is correct before you fly.

is it worth the risk?

pam

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 32
2. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

I have heard it is ok but I agree with Pam, the last thing you want is to get to the airport and the airline refuse to board you on the plane.

If it was my holiday, I would make sure my passport had at least 6 months on it........

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 40
3. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

This six month story has been copied from website to website without the authors doing any research to check. Just because it's on the UK Foreign Office website doesn't make it true.... ;)

The reality is that if you have a pre-booked return ticket in, say, two weeks time, your passport needs to be valid for that period. Without a return ticket you are not given more than three months in the country anyway, so that then becomes the minimum period of validity.

There used to be a page on the Moroccan Customs website at http://www.douane.gov.ma/ giving these facts that I could point people to, but the website was reorganised some time ago and I can't currently locate it.

Edited: 11:49 am, December 03, 2012
reviews: 9
4. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

Definately WOULDN'T take the risk!!!

I always check my passport before I book any holiday!!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 40
5. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

Err... what risk?

The OP found a Moroccan government website that stated you just need a passport valid for the length of stay in Morroco. Previous threads have said there was no problem. The riad owners don't think there's a problem.

I confirmed this.

Casablanca
6. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

The link Pam sent you have a very helpful tips regarding your query, but you will have no problem like Tim's said.

Edited: 6:39 pm, December 03, 2012
7. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:07 am, October 29, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 57
8. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

Forgive me, but if you are in any doubt, why dont you just ring your airline to be sure?

London, United...
9. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

I will update this thread when I get back so people know for the future!

London, United...
10. Re: Travel to Morroco - passport which expires in under 6 months

EMAIL FROM THE MOROCCAN CONSULATE IN LONDON:

RE : Short holiday in Morroco - passport question

cg london [cg.london@maec.gov.ma]

You replied on 07/12/2012 11:09.

Sent: 07 December 2012 10:43

To: xxxxxxxxxx (me)

Dear Sir/Madam

In reference to your email, I would like to inform you that an EU passport should be valid for 3 months in order to enter Morocco.

Regards