We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech trip with nut allergy

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham
reviews: 27
Marrakech trip with nut allergy

Hello,

I'm due to be travelling to Marrakesh on 15th December for 3/4 days. I have a nut allergy (any type of nut) and am a bit anxious about eating out over there.

I'll be taking an adrenaline pen and tablets as back up, but don't really want to use them and experience the hospitals out there, so any tips on things to stay away from would be great...or should I be sticking to Mcdonalds for 3 days!

I'm a regular traveller to Turkey, and usually just stay away from deserts and pastries, but have no experience of Moroccan food.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
1. Re: Marrakech trip with nut allergy

If you don't speak arabic or french I would suggest that you translate important phrases into french and take them with you.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 10
2. Re: Marrakech trip with nut allergy

just avoid moroccan pastry as it is almond based.

some lamb tagines withe prunes or apricots have usually walnuts and almonds as accompaniment

Not sure if you're also allergic to gound nut oils such as sunflower which is commony used in Moroccan cuisine. Better make a list of things you can 't tolerate and always ask before you eat at restaurantts

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
3. Re: Marrakech trip with nut allergy

Hi,

You will have to be extremely careful and make sure you keep your medication with you at mealtimes. Waiters in cafes and restaurants are prone to say "it's fine, no problem" if you question them about the inclusion of nuts and only you know how badly you would react to even a taste.

Don't worry about the hospitals though if the worst happens. You would go to a private clinic and be treated by highly trained doctors and nurses.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
4. Re: Marrakech trip with nut allergy

"it's fine, no problem"

Yes, I'm afraid that's the typical Moroccan reaction to anything. Go for food you have a reasonable belief will be OK, such as chicken on a spit with rice.

5. Re: Marrakech trip with nut allergy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:37 am, October 29, 2013
Birmingham
reviews: 27
6. Re: Marrakech trip with nut allergy

Thanks all,

I've ordered myself a Moroccan Arabic phrase book and had planned to get the 'nut allergy' phrase translated and written down in french as well.

I have had similar problems in restaurants in Turkey with waiters reactions like 'oh it's fine only one or two nuts', or just scraping them off the top of my ice cream.

It always amazes me how shocked people are there when i explain i'm allergic to nuts; maybe it's much rarer in these countries i don't know.

Thanks for the tips...fingers crossed.

7. Re: Marrakech trip with nut allergy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, December 17, 2013