We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Truebeliver or anyoone that knows...

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
To Truebeliver or anyoone that knows...

Hola again! Can anyone advice me on the money issue, really we're just going to Marrakech for a couple of days and mostly to do sightseeing and small shopping on the Souks. I have not idea how much money to carry along and what currency, I've read not to take too much cash and use ATM's machines, is that right?

About the currency, I assume in the Souks they only take Dirhams, right?

I've read somehere else to take dollars...

My bank at home gives me 10,81 Dirhams for 1 Euro, the riad has told me they can exchange when we arrive but I assume it will be more expensive, don't you think???

Gracias,

Cristina

PS.: I would be great a little advice about bargaining in the Souks, how and to what extent...

Marrakech
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
1. Re: To Truebeliver or anyoone that knows...

I hope you have a great time on your visit here.

The amount of money that you carry really depends on what you want to buy- whether you want a carpet at 1000 euros, or a small lamp for a couple of pounds or 30Dh for example.

Why not have a walk through the souks, see what really grabs you and then go later to an ATM (several near Jamna el Fnaa) and get some dirhams out?

For haggling there are no fast and hard rules. What do you think that the goods are worth? how much is the maximum you would pay? If you know this then you will have the upper hand. If you would rather the seller opens with a price- try a third of it, and be prepared to pay up to a half, (generally speaking!)

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: To Truebeliver or anyoone that knows...

My god Taromit 1000 euros for a carpet!, I though I was going to get some bargains (just kidding). Thanks for the advice, now I know how to start the bet...

I'm curious, why everyone insist so much about not carrying money...please tell me is it really because there are alot of pick-pockets????

saludos,

cristina

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: To Truebeliver or anyoone that knows...

I 'll stick with Taromit 's advice. Don't carry a lot of cash on you until you know what you're going to buy. One is never safe enough in the souks. I fuyou have money you may want to tuck in a belt .As for shopping if you don't want to go through all the hassle of bargaining there are other shops in the new town which have fixed prices. you can also try l'ensemble artisanal on Mohammed 5 boulevard. They sell handicraft products for resonable prices

cheers

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: To Truebeliver or anyoone that knows...

Minicris,

There is no carpet in Morocco worth 1000 euros...though many have bought them for that. If you plan to buy carpets, do a little research before you go so that you know what you're looking a and what its worth. Moroccan carpets are not as expensive as Persian carpets. A decent 2mx3m carpet should be anywhere from 100-500 euros.

Recently, many carpet sellers have been telling people that they can buy carpets here and then take them back to their home countries and sell them at a great profit on E-bay. If you have a look on e-bay, there are hardly any Moroccan carpets for sale...and those that are are relatively cheap. This is because there is not a great market for Moroccan carpets outside of Morocco - they are not in great demand.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
88 posts
5. Re: To Truebeliver or anyoone that knows...

Cristina, it is not allowed to bring Dirhams into Morocco or to take them out.

In Morocco the rate for changing money is an official rate.

Some weeks ago I changed Euros and got the value of 10.719 Dirhams.

You can also take Euros in small values with you and pay with Euros, but it is not a good deal - in some places they give you only 10 Dirhams for your money -some shops may charge you a small commission for the change. So you are better off if you get your change in a bank!

BTW, if you tip some waiters or others, please don't give them coins in foreign currencies - they won't get change at a bank because banks take only paper-money!