We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!! non-experienced traveller in marrakech :-/

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cumbria, UK
reviews: 13
Help!!! non-experienced traveller in marrakech :-/

hi,

me and my partner have booked a weeks stay in marrakech in february. we booked it to experience something different from the standard spain type resort holidays.

However......neither of us really know anything about marrakesh and reading lots of different forums and "things to do" pages has just got me confused.

firstly, weather in feb? im reading that basically it will be warmish through daytime and cold at night?

second, who is best to book tours with. no tours are included in the holiday we booked and we would really like to visit the atlas mountains.

third, am i right to be a bit worried about being hassled the whole hliday by locals? how is best to deal with the locals? ive read you need to keep change seperate to give to beggars? and to not get taxis?

any help, advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

pip x

Australia
reviews: 35
51. Re: Help!!! non-experienced traveller in marrakech :-/

Hi all

I have nothing helpful to add to this post but I think it has been one of the best I have read. I will be a first time visitor is May and I can't wait.

Thanks for all the hints and tips

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 310
52. Re: Help!!! non-experienced traveller in marrakech :-/

you will have a great time..now take the hints and tips and let us know what you think when you get home. it will be a trip of a lifetime!!

reviews: 5
53. Re: Help!!! non-experienced traveller in marrakech :-/

Just to say, along with 'la shukran' (no thank you) it is polite and friendly to greet people with Salam Alaykum or just Salam. If you speak any french that is very helpful with haggling in the souks or taxis. `I am married to a Moroccan and the two most important things to remember 1. you are in a Muslim North African country, not Europe. Dress appropriately and respect the culture. It is Not Europe! But thats what makes Morocco such a fascinating destination. No 2: HAGGLE always haggle. Explain politely 'la shukran - c'est trop cher' - its too expensive. you can always walk away, taxi drivers will often come after you with a better price. If not try the next guy, they will compete for your business.

As far as locals: as many people here have posted, be polite but firm. There's a lot of poverty and many young men are desperate for any cash so they try anything sort of reasonable, including trying to direct tourists for tips. They also look at women who dress in short skirts - in Muslim culture Western women who dress like they are going to a night club are no different than ladies of the night...its how they've been brought up. Don't take any staring or aggro personally, just laugh it off if you can. Marrakech and Essaouira are amazing. Enjoy the noise, the friendliness, Jardin Marjorelle and great food!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
54. Re: Help!!! non-experienced traveller in marrakech :-/

"La shukran, c'est trop cher" is mixing Arabic and French.

Better to say, "la, ghali bazaaf" (no, too expensive).

'Ghali' (the expensive word) is pronounced similar to 'rally'.

55. Re: Help!!! non-experienced traveller in marrakech :-/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, January 06, 2014