We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petit taxis in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Petit taxis in Marrakech

I haven't seen any mention of the changes to taxi prices in Marrakech, so I thought it was about time that I mentioned it.

In July 2012 the prices of petit taxis changed.

For a petit taxi the meter starts at 1.70 MAD and counts up 0.24 MAD every 100 metres. In the evening there is a 50% increase. The minimum fare is 7 MAD during the daytime and 10 MAD in the evening.

For petit taxis that park outside hotels there is a surcharge of 10 MAD plus the meter fee.

Between the airport and the city the fee should be 70 MAD. Between the airport and the Palmeraie the fee should be 100 MAD. (I will be interested to find out if tourists are offered these low prices).

There is a new taxi service called 'taxis verts'. If you are unable to find a taxi you can call 0524409494 and a taxi should arrive in 10 minutes. For this service you must pay 10 MAD plus the meter fee. The taxis involved in this service are ordinary petit taxis with a 'taxis verts' sticker on the windscreen and a radio in the taxi. If you flag the taxi down without calling you don't have to pay the extra 10 MAD.

I have not tried this service therefore I cannot comment on efficiency. I am not involved in the company. I just thought it may be useful information for travellers.

All petit taxis should display a sticker on the windscreen in front of the passenger seat displaying fee charges. At the bottom of the sticker are the phone numbers for the Prefecture de police (headquarters) and the Wilaya (local government).

I hope this helps someone.

34 replies to this topic
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
11. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

I recently found myself in an area of town where taxis are few and far between and I decided to try the taxis verts service. The lady who answered the phone spoke english and said that the taxi would arrive in 10 minutes. Two minutes later the taxi arrived, took me to my destination, and charged me the meter fee plus 10 dirhams.

I was pleased with this service.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 75
12. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

Is it the same situation in Casablanca? We were there in mid-December and found it a real pain trying to get the drivers to use the meter and then go through the argument of them trying to set a fixed price. We were badly burned going from the centre of Casa to Morocco Mall. The driver ripped us off badly. It was our first day in Casa before joining a tour group and we wanted to get about and see the place. MM had been recommend (why I don't know - it is a mall!) so we asked the concierge to hail a cab and ask the driver to set the meter. This happened. But when we arrived the driver told us that the meter price was per person - 65 MAD each! We argued to no avail. I should have asked at the hotel what to do with dodgy drivers before getting. It wasn't so much the price, but the dishonesty and contempt shown to us. We caught the local Medina bus back to the centre of town for 4 MAD and met a lovely young local woman who spent a couple of hours showing us around the Medina! She was so apologetic about her dishonest countryman. And this was our usual experience - wonderfully hospitable and kind locals.

So - check out with the hotel what the petit taxi arrangements are; get them to hail the cab and let the driver know exactly where you want to go; take a note of the driver's number; let the hotel know if there was a problem. If you get stuck, go straight to the police and complain.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
13. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

I read this joke about Moroccan Taxi Drivers, I hope it brings a smile...........

marocnetwork.com/blogs/entry/A-Moroccan-Taxi…

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
14. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

Hi SydneyPaul,

At post number 7 I give the number to call to use the taxis vert service in Casablanca. It really does save a lot of hassle.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 75
15. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

Thanks for this. I hope to go back to Morocco so I will keep the details.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
16. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

Hi,

I have been using the taxis vert service for a while now both personally and with guests and have been happy with it. But, the other day I ordered one to take a mum and daughter from Bab Doukkala mosque to the Foundouk restaurant. The driver switched his meter off and tried to charge them 70 Dirhams. After an arguement they paid 40 Dirhams.

I reported this to a controller the next day and as the taxi was booked via their switchboard he knew exactly which driver was involved and promised to make sure it didn't happen again.

If anyone has a problem with this service don't just write it off as bad luck. Inform the controllers and they will hopefully weed out any bad drivers and keep it the good service it started out being.

17. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:07 am, October 29, 2013

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
18. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

The controller told me it is always the meter price plus 10 Dirhams.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
19. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

Good advice from shimmin there. If there is a problem then phone the company to wipe out the very occasional rogue in the system. And yes MIB15 the joke did make me smile!

20. Re: Petit taxis in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:07 am, October 29, 2013

Reply to: Petit taxis in Marrakech
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted