We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Mike McHugo, a long standing member of the British Moroccan Society and active charity fund raiser in Morocco, is promoting 'The Marrakech Atlas Etape', in favour of Education for All, a charity that promotes secondary/college education for girls from rural areas.

This one day cycling event will take place 28 April 2013. There are two routes from Marrakech: an easier one (60km ride to Ourika and back) one and a very difficult one (140km to Oukaimdene and back). More information at http://www.marrakech-atlas-etape.com

Follow the link from the website to read about the work carried out by Education for All. Those with long memories might remember the boarding house was the subject of a 2004 TV programme 'Road to Marrakech' when the BBC Ground Force team created a kitchen garden for the girls.

North Pole, Alaska
reviews: 26
1. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Thanks for the link TimCullis!!

What a very worth while cause and a very good read too!!

Best wishes

Breezy

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
2. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Bump it up!

Any charity in Morocco deserves attention!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
3. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Here's some information on the charities supported by the BMS, britishmoroccansociety.org/charity-work/

The society has recently received a huge donation of £50,000 and an announcement of what it's going to be spent on is due to be made shortly.

france
4. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Thanks for posting this. We hope as many people as possible will join us for the Marrakech Atlas Etape. The 140k is a challenging event but the 60k event is relatively flat well a gentle gradient up and great fast ride back so please come and join us and sign up on the website www.marrakech-atlas-etape.com Thanks Mike McHugo

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
5. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

When you say 60k do you really mean 60 thousand metres??!! I might be able to make it 60 metres in the Atlas on a bicycle but 60 thousand metres sounds very daunting!!! It's a long time since I was last on a bicycle!!

Good luck to those taking part...I know it's a long way off yet...I hope you get a fantastic turn out for the event...Education for all is an excellent cause.

france
6. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

thanks yes 60000 metres sounds quite alot but 60 K up a gentle gradient of an average of 1.25% would I suggest be achievable by almost anyone who can ride a bike and wants a small challenge so come and join us.

and for the Ouka Monster 140,000 metres now that sounds impressive with 2129 metres of altitude gain ...well thats quite a challenge well will be for me.

Thanks Mike McH

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
7. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

If I can find a bicycle...maybe...

(gulping at the thought of what I may have let myself in for!!!)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
8. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Well really it's 30 km uphill with a 'gentle' gradient, followed by a 30km downhill 'wind in your hair' freewheel back to Marrakech. The gradient works out at about 12m per km which isn't so bad, but it's unrelenting, so some prior uphill practice would be a good idea to get the legs into condition.

I'm currently doing training rides every day to get fit enough to do next year's RideLondon 100 mile charity event, http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/Events/100.htm, so I'm seriously interested.

London, United...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Hi,

This sounds like an excellent and worthwhile event - What is the best way to get bike and bike box to the hotel from the airport.

I've heard horror stories about the taxis.

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
10. Re: Charity bicycle ride, 28 April 2013

Airport bus (#19) is cheap and cheerful, heads initially for Djemaa el Fna then does a circuit of Marrakech. Do a search on 'airport bus' for more info. Otherwise a taxi.