We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money/tips

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woking, Surrey
reviews: 7
Money/tips

Hello,

What are the rules concerning the tips - I mean what is an average, too much or too little tip?

Thanks,

Letty

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Money/tips

Hi,

This really is a case where using the search box will give you loads of previously posted advice and opinions about this. Type "tipping" or "tips" into the search box above your post.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Money/tips

For some people anything you give will be appreciated, others will not be happy regardless of how much you give them, myself, I just give what I think is right for the service given.

Like Shimmin said, there are lots of previous threads on this topic........have a search and if there is anything more specific you want to know, then just ask your questions on one of the older threads on this subject.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
3. Re: Money/tips

There were no rules on tips until tourists invented them. Up to that point no-one expected tips but once tourists started giving them, there was no turning back.

Think of 10% as the normal. People here are poorly paid so every little helps.

One anectodal story - on my first ever visit I was so impressed with the service and food at one restaurant in particular that I gave a 50Dh tip on a 160Dh bill!

Nowadays it's more like 10-20Dh.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 1
4. Re: Money/tips

Tipping is a part of every-day life in Morocco.

Cafes: It is polite to leave two or three dirhams if you are having a coffee or soft drink. Giving Euro coins, sterling coins or small US$ bills is not ideal. The waiter will not be able to spend foreign change in local shops.

Restaurants: Similar to the UK, 5-10% is considered appropriate or generous. Of course it’s fine to give more if the service has been really exceptional.

Small or ‘petit’ taxis: can take up to three passengers. For five or ten minute journeys aound the old town or to nearby Guiliez the drivers often do not put on the meter, there is no need to worry about this. It is polite to give 15 or 20 dirhams.For longer journeys ask them to put the meter on and round up to the nearest 10 dirhams.

Excursions: Tipping is not required for excursions booked through the Riad but it is much appreciated. 50 or 100 Dirhams is a perfectly polite gratuity for a half or full day

Riad staff: Tipping is at your discretion, you certainly should not feel any obligation. Many guests hand a personal gratuity directly to the member of staff who has facilitated their stay or to other individuals as they see fit.

5. Re: Money/tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:38 pm, October 28, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
6. Re: Money/tips

I agree totally with John W regarding taxis: if drivers refuse to put the meter on then get out. There will be another one along in a few minutes. If people were made more aware of this problem (and yes there have been many posts on this subject) then these rogue drivers may, just may, get the message. This is the law and non-compliant drivers can and have been reported in Marrakech. Take a note of the taxi number if you wish to pursue the matter.

Marrakech
7. Re: Money/tips

Hi,

Tipping in Morocco differs from one service to another. In like Restaurants and hotels people almost pay about 10 to 15% from the amount. But, in some places people expect more. You have also to be cautious sometimes people like in the street they try to insist on you to give them more.

Generally, tipping in Morocco has no rules. So, you give according to quality of services provided.

Good trip to Morocco.

8. Re: Money/tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:39 pm, October 28, 2013
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
9. Re: Money/tips

I too disagree with the comments about taxi prices. 15-20 MAD for a journey in the medina or to Gueliz is double the daytime fare. And rounding up to the nearest 10 MAD is not common practice either.

Those people who knowingly over-pay the taxi drivers make the situation more difficult for everyone else. And some of us can't afford to pay double the price for services.

Marrakech
10. Re: Money/tips

For the taxi price in Marrakech differs from one person to another? There are taxi drivers that are so good and they put the meter from the beginning and there are others that refuse to make the meter. Then, the best way is to negociate before you get inside the taxi; otherwise, you will expect to pay more the usual.

For tipping, as I stated, John is wrong in what he says because most of the people in such places (Restaurants - Hotels - Tourism companies drivers...etc) are not well paid. So, always they expect good tipping for good services. Otherwise, you will expect low quality services. Please try to make sure of this because in most of the Restaurant, tipping is 10% and you will find it in some big restarurants menus.

Sometimes when you give 10 dirhams, you will expect the money to be given back to you because 1 Euros is nothing for these people giving you high quality services and sometimes in an insult.