We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Hi

We are a group of 2 Asian girls and 1 boy who will be in Morocco from 21 April onwards. We are backpacking and only speak English. Having heard about several frightening stories about females travelling in Morocco, we are rather worried about the following:-

1) Safety in Marrakesh and Fes

- What is the best way to fend off unwanted male attention?

- What about keeping our possessions safe?

2) Accomodation

- We havent managed to book any accomodation save for the 1st night in Marrakesh. Several of the places mentioned in our guide books only have contact numbers and no website or email address.

Is it advisable for us to only look for these places when we reach?

Is the time that we will be travelling (the weekend after Good Friday) still high season in Morocco?

3) Travel Guides

- We heard various stories about unofficial guides and we do not wish to be harrassed. We would like to get a local official guide in Marrakesh and Fes. Does anyone have any recommendations or contacts?

Hope to get some tips soon!

Many thanks :)

Bangkok
reviews: 4
11. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

I just came back from Morocco and want to share some information about this to you.To answer your question

Bangkok
12. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

I just came back from Morocco and would like to share some information to you.Here is answer for your question.

1)As we found , people in Morocco are very freindly and very helpful.You may find so many people say hello to you and ask you where you come from Japan? Korea? Taiwan? etc.You may just reply whatever you like and they will say welcome to Mororro.There's nothing to be afraid, before I went there I was also afraid off as I did read so many article said that "you should be aware off" but in reality there is nothing just Friendly.

2)For 1 night in Marrakesh (guest that you will come from Casablanca by train) ,I suggest you stay at Hotel Ibis.It's very nice one.Normally Hotel Ibis's location is near by train station which make us easy to catch the train to another town. I did not stay in Ibis Marrakesh but stayed at Hotel Ibis in FES and Paris which we found it's reasonable place to stay.

3) We did not hire any Guide either in Marrakesh or FES. We did only buy a group tour to Merzuga to have travel in Erg Chebbi (Dune) to ride a camel in dessert.If you want more information how to find a tour to Merzuga from Marrakesh then I reccomend you.I can only say that It's very fantastic.

To walk in Marrakesh or Fes , we may only need to follow the Guide Book such as Eye Witness or Lonely Plannet.You also can walk through Medina by yourself and you will find so many interesting thing in Medina in both city.

fyi, I'm Thai.

Singapore
13. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Dear Pangjee

Thanks for the note :)

Please do let us know where you bought the

group tour to Merzouga to have travel in Erg Chebbi (Dune) and how to find such tours to Merzouga from Marrakesh.

Cheers

Bangkok
14. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Dear Sunshinedewdrops;

Before we went to Mororrco we found the website name is http://www.cameltrekking.com/. You can send an email to contact Omar.He is the leader of the group tour.As we talked to him , Omar was born in Merzuga then seems like he know well about the dessert. Here is email addresss of Omar ,omar@cameltrekking.com.Now let me tell you about our trip which we asked Omar to arrange for us.

fisrt day : we leave Marrakesh around 08:30am from El Fina Square by 4wheel drive Land Rover.Lunch at Quarzazate.Omar brought us to the nice restaurant and it was not expensive.We paid around 180 diram for 4persons for our launch.For the first night we stayed at Dades Gorge which has a very nice scenery.There is a river beside the hotel.Becareful the temperature here is low as the height above sea level is around 1,000ft.Here we had Tajine and Moroccan salad for our dinner.Delicious!.

Second day: We leave Dades Gorge to Merzuga and on the way we visit Todra Gorge.Amazing Todra Gorge ,I can say.You will like it.After Todra Gorge we stop at Erford just around 20mins. to take some photograph and then Rissini.After that we went to Merzuga and stay in the hotel.Hotel here is not a 3 star hotel however, the bed and room is very clean.There is a shower inside ,no problem at all.At the night we had Harera and Karia for our dinner which is also deliciuos again.

Third day : Omar brought us by 4wheel drive cruise around Dune.The scenery is very very good.At lunch he brought us to his house and fed us a Tajine(local one).It's also delicious. At late afternoon , we had a camel riding.It's also very good one.In fact we asked Omar to arrange the tent for us to stay , unfortunately , there was a sand storm and windy cause us to change the plan. So sad.....

Fourth day ; Omar brought us to Erford and we changed to grand taxi which we asked Omar to find it for us as we planed to go to Fes.

Sorry that I think I should not give you a cost of this one but I only can say that it's a very very good price to pay.You may try to contact to Omar.FYI, our group is 4 persons.

For Fes , I recommend hotel Ibis for you to stay , reasonable price and good room condition.I'm not so sure about your flight plan.If you have to transit in Paris like we did then I recommend you to stay near Charles De Gule Airport (hotel Ibis or F1 or Etap) the hotel rate is around 49 Eur /31Eur and 39 Eur accordingly.There is a hotel charther bus bring you to RER station.

If you want more information , please do not hestitate to post and ask me again.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 20
15. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

I have to disagree with the previous post - if you're in Fes, an ancient and beautiful medina, why on earth would you go stay in a modern chain hotel next to the train station (Ibis)? The Ibis is clean and reasonable, but there are so many wonderful places to stay in Fes that actually have some character, it seems a waste to stay at a hotel that could be anywhere in the world while you are in a place that is unique.

Bangkok
16. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

I also did stay in Riad in Marrakesh name is Dar Nakhla which cost me 40 Euro and my friend have another room 50Euro.This price also included breakfart.The location is 3min. walk to El Fina.

For Fes , for us ,it was very difficult to find a good Riad with competitive price like 40-50Euro.If we could find it then agree that we should stay in Riad rather than hotel.

penna
17. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

For desert tours I recommend you go to Hotel Ali

as recommended before they run good (albeit very exhausting)

yours.

I do not recommend the 2 day tour as you do not get to make it to Merzuga

(they take you to Zagora instead, and their dunes there are not as spectacular as Merzuga's grand dunes)

I think it was 60 Euro for 2 day tour and 80 for 3 days

they included accommodations and some meals.