We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
6 posts
Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Hi

We are a group of 2 Asian girls and 1 boy who will be in Morocco from 21 April onwards. We are backpacking and only speak English. Having heard about several frightening stories about females travelling in Morocco, we are rather worried about the following:-

1) Safety in Marrakesh and Fes

- What is the best way to fend off unwanted male attention?

- What about keeping our possessions safe?

2) Accomodation

- We havent managed to book any accomodation save for the 1st night in Marrakesh. Several of the places mentioned in our guide books only have contact numbers and no website or email address.

Is it advisable for us to only look for these places when we reach?

Is the time that we will be travelling (the weekend after Good Friday) still high season in Morocco?

3) Travel Guides

- We heard various stories about unofficial guides and we do not wish to be harrassed. We would like to get a local official guide in Marrakesh and Fes. Does anyone have any recommendations or contacts?

Hope to get some tips soon!

Many thanks :)

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Morocco is on the whole a safe country but one is never safe enough. There are some precautions you need to take whether in Fes or Marrakech. One of them is to hire a certifed tour guide. Most of them are to be found in travel agencies or in front of starred hotels. I can help with guides in Marrakech.

As for accommodation, you didn't mention your budget. There are cheap hotels for 25 euros a double room, as there are also some good 3* hotels with swimming pools and air conditioning. April is high season but I'm sure you can find rooms, although it's better to have a reservation in advance.

It's also advisable not to carry valuables on you or a lot of cash. There are many ATMs all over the country or traveller cheques which you can cash in banks or bureaux of change

should you need further help feel free to ask

Singapore
6 posts
2. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Dear truebeliever,

Thank you for your very prompt response.

Yes, we will be grateful for some help with guides in Marrakech. We are looking an English speaking guide who will be able to explain the sights and also help us fend off unwanted attention from people who may harass us. Do you know of anyone reliable and how we can get in touch with him/her?

As for accommodation, our budget is about 10 to 20 Euros per person. So a total of 30 to 60 Euros for the 3 of us in total. We would prefer a triple room (although we are not sure if its common in Morocco?) or if not, a double room for the 2 girls and a single for the boy. Do you have any recommendations of places in our budget?

I look forward to hearing from you soon! :)

Cheers!

3. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:25 am, February 12, 2007
Singapore
6 posts
4. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Dear truebeliever,

We're grateful for your prompt response and for the contact of the guide in Marrakech.

Yes you can reach me via email at sunshinedewdrops1@yahoo.com.sg

Do you have any information on Fes (esp for accomodation and for a guide?) or do you know of anyone who can help?

We have no accomodation booked in Fes yet everyplace seems to be full unfortunately.

Hope to hear from you real soon!

Many thanks!

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

In Fes, The Hotel Batha sounds like it would suit you best. Its right on the edge of the medina in what used to be the UK Consulate. There is a small pool, bar, and the rooms are comfortable and clean. Last I checked, a double ran about 400 dirhams (20 euros per person) and triples were only slightly more.

For a guide, try Saida (one of the oly female guides in Fes) - her number is 061 351 853 or Jalil 061 256 870.

Fez, Morocco
Level Contributor
81 posts
6. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

In Marrakech try Marrakech-riads.net. It's possible to get a triple for 60 euros, I think. This company has five lovely houses, simply decorated, and not very expensive. This is one of the few agencies run by a Moroccan, Abdellatif Ait Benabdullah, who is actively involved in preservation of historical houses in both Marrakech and Fez.

In Dar Sara there are two rooms that have a bathroom downstairs that might even be less expensive, but this is high season and they may not be able to give a discount.

Doncaster
Level Contributor
100 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Hi

My Email addy is: DAVEYgijane@aol.com

Leaving 10th June for 2 weeks and would like also to have contact list of guides etc to help plan our trip.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Singapore
6 posts
8. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Dear Fassia and Talaa,

Thanks very much for your recommendations and contacts, we are very grateful.

Dear Fassia, we've booked Hotel Batha through a website. Thanks! :)

If we find out that Hotel Batha is overbooked when we arrive in Fes, do you have any recommendations/suggestions where we might be able to find last minute accomodation?

I'm so sorry to ask about this but we've just happened to read a guide book which mentioned the Hotel and that there are several reports of individual reservations not being honoured by the Hotel because it is overbooked? Probably because the Hotel is very popular?

Many thanks.

Cheers! :)

Singapore
6 posts
9. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

Dear Fassia, truebeliever and talaa,

I've one more urgent question, hope you can help?

We are interested in going to the sand dunes at merzouga as well when we are in Morocco. We did some research and came across a few websites that does tours but they leave from Marrakech. We've emailed them but havent received any reply for a while.

Are you aware if there are any organised tours leaving from Fes? Or is it more advisable to leave from Marrakech?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Many thanks :)

Cheers

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Urgent - Safety and Accomodation in Morocco from 21 April...

If you want to go to Merzouga, its better to leave from Fes. I dont know of organised tours leaving from here, but if you're on a budget, it might be better to arrange a tour with your hotel in Merzouga. Auberge Kasbah Derkaoua and the Tomboctou both offer reasonable excursions into the dunes.

I know there is a guidebook that says that the Batha will not honor your reservation if they receive a booking for a large tour group. Perhaps this happened once, but I dont think its common. I wouldnt worry about it. If you need a back-up plan, perhaps the Dar Bouinania (just near the medersa of the same name) or the Hotel Splendid in the Ville Nouvelle would be good alternatives>