We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with questions for a road trip please!!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 1
Help with questions for a road trip please!!

Hi all, any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Although I have been to Morocco a few times, it has always been part of an organized trip, this time, some friends and I have decided to do a tour ourselves on motorcycles.

Any help you can give us with the following would be great:

• In September, will we have any problems getting on a ferry from Algeciras to Tangiers, without pre-booking? Also, how regular are they throughout the day?

• How long should we expect to get through customs in Tangiers?

• Is there any problems getting hold of unleaded petrol in Morocco?

• Does anybody know of any Moroccan insurance companies that can offer fully comprehensive insurance for our bikes whilst we are over there? Our UK insurance only covers us third party. Or does anybody know a company in the UK that can cover us?

Any other hints or tips for a bike tour of Morocco would be fantastic!

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 17
1. Re: Help with questions for a road trip please!!

The time to avoid getting a ferry is the end of August, when all the Moroccans who vacationed with their families in Spain and France come back en masse to Morocco. If you're planning to come down in the first week of September, it might be a good idea to book in advance.

Ferries leave almost every 30 minutes (with different companies - so, if you book in advance, you'll be limited to the ferries run by that particular company).

Customs will probably take at least an hour. Try to find out in advance what documents you'll need and be sure to have them all ready to present.

There's no problem per se finding unleaded ("super sans plomb") petrol, but some petrol stations run out from time to time. We can always find it, but it might require going to a couple of stations...so dont let your tank run right to the end before filling up.

Insurance...I dont think you'll find a Moroccan company to insure you. American friends of mine did a motorbike tour around the Med (including Morocco) and as I recall, they were insured with a company based in Germany that they'd found on the internet.