We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

Hello. Going to Marrakech on 10/9.

Being told not to eat outside of my hotel.

Any advice?

London, United...
1. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

Who told you that? How ridiculous.

You will get far better food outside your hotel, especially if it is one of those horrible all inclusive ones.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
2. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

definitely, go outside the hotel and discover the smells and wonderful tastes of morocco.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 8
3. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

the only reason you want to eat at your hotel is if you're booked half board

there are so many restaurants out there to choose from

somewhere near...
reviews: 43
4. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

My advice is to ignore what you gave been told. Total nonsense!! Eat out!

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 20
5. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

There are some wonderful restaurants of all kinds.

The food on the stalls is cooked in front of you. I do know some people worry about the facilities for "washing up" but most street food around the world is honestly prepared before your very eyes!

We ate everyday in cheap restaurants around the square but mostly ate in the riad at night as the first night's food was so good. We went out for lunch smelling the delicious aromas as the girls starting cooking our evening meal. We never had a bad meal in a week.

Thornton Cleveleys...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

Whoever told you that is completely wrong so ignore them (and I fully agree with Doreen about those awful huge complexes)

One of the "must do" activities when in Marrakech is to eat outdoors in the eveing at the stalls in the main square. The majority of the food is cooked fresh to order and is usually fried, which will kill off any bugs. Food in cafes is perfectly safe and I've never had a problem buying bread, biscuits, pastries etc either from people selling food off little trays on the floor or from holes in the wall that serve delicious brochettes (meat on a stick)

Take with you a bottle of good anitbacterial spray and use it every time you eat or drink or at regular intervals throughout the day. There is nothing worse than money for spreading disease and you'll be handling a lot of it, so clean your hands before you then touch anything that will go in your mouth. (Okay, to be honest, I don't always remember and I've never been ill but try and keep it in mind!)

Keep well hydrated at all times; flushing your sytem through with water will help to expell nasties from your gut and dehydration will make you feel desperately ill anyway.

Before you travel, take a course of good prebiotics to build up your healthy intestinal bacteria. I'd suggest starting them 6 weeks to a month before travel and then contiuning to take them during your holiday.

Take with you the normal first aid travel kit including rehydration salts, antidiarrhoea pills and pills to help with constipation too - better safe than sorry!

If you live a fairly normal life you will be fine - it is only people who bleach and sanitise every inch of their homes that may find problems as they will have killed off their own natural immunity to external germs. I take immune-suppressant medication for a long term illness and I've never had a problem anywhere abroad - although I did once get food poisoning from an M&S ready meal!

Edited: 12:56 pm, August 12, 2012
norfolk
reviews: 30
7. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

we saw drinking straws being swilled through cold water then put back in the dispensor for re-use. i had heard of this before travel and took a box of straws. we just took a few out every day.

don't go too mad on the orange juice! it is excellent - but if you are not used to it, it can have devastating effect if you have too much.

otherwise - eat, eat and enjoy!

pam

Dixon
reviews: 19
8. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

If you see it cooked in front of you or freshly squeezed, it's OK. Street food is fabulous! I was so worried about this on my first trip to Morocco I travelled with all kinds of antibiotics and gastric remedies--just a waste of luggage space! However, don't drink water from an unsealed container. I have seen bottles refilled in resteraunts from public fountains, even saw one waiter take a swig before he replaced the cap and served it to another guest.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
9. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

In local cafes and restaurants it is common place for plastic bottles to be re-used to serve tap water. The waiter is not trying to 'dupe' unsuspecting tourists or locals. Some people, myself included, will happily drink the tap water without any ill effects.

I would always recommend that tourists to any country drink bottled water.

Richmond, VA
reviews: 5
10. Re: Is it safe to eat outside your hotel

Only meal my hotels ever serve is breakfast in the morning and I don't know about you, but I need more food than that!