We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadan in July 2012

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Ramadan in July 2012

I have read the posts re this subject but they are dated 2009.

It would be our first trip to Morocco and would like to know if or how Ramadan would affect the trip. Ramadan begins July 20th 2012, we hope to go 27th July.

Many thanks

9 replies to this topic
East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
1. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

Hi and welcome!

This link should be helpful:

www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums…

cheers

London, United...
2. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

Thanks I looked at the link but I have another questions.

Are souks and shops open during the day?

Also wat is it like in Fes during Ramadan.

I have read so many varying posts, some say everywhere closes down, some say some places close and some say, it all stays the same as usual........difficult to know which is right.

London, United...
3. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

just been reading lots of posts on the link .......... can females wear "vest "tops

outside during Ramadan?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
4. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

Hi,

Souks and shops are open during the day, local cafes are not, tourists ones are. Fes is the same.

Read all the posts about what to wear and decide for yourself what is appropriate.

Edited: 12:08 pm, June 19, 2012
East Gwillimbury...
reviews: 74
5. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

You'll probably encounter less "attention" and hassle by showing as little skin as possible, whatever you decide to wear. Showing cleavage, shoulders, legs, etc. will NOT make the experience any easier for you to adjust to. (Disregard this friendly advice at your own risk!)

The clothing issue has been discussed forever on the forums here. Check out the "Top Questions about..." on the top right of the Marrakech or Morocco Forums pages for very informative links to clothing and female traveller tips in general.

London, United...
6. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

Thanks for pointing out the links to me. Pretty straight forward stuff really.

Marrakech, Morocco
7. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

Hi!

Marrakech is not very much different during Ramadan. It might as well be a great unique experience. If you are not a Muslim you don’t have to fast but you will be highly appreciated by the locals if you at least try to respect their religion by refraining from eating, drinking or smoking on the streets. Some of the shops and restaurants might be closed by daylight but you will certainly still find a place for tourists where you can have a decent meal At the sunset, all the public places close because the locals get reunited with their relatives for their first meal of the day and after that the restaurants and squares become noisy and crowded till the sunrise. This is a perfect moment for you to socialize and get in contact with the locals who are happy to share this special period of the year with their families and with the tourists, as well.

As for the clothing, pay special attention to the way you dress since Muslims are sensitive to this aspect especially during Ramadan. A too revealing outfit will be seen as a sign of disrespect for their religious tradition.

8. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:37 pm, October 28, 2013

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 4
9. Re: Ramadan in July 2012

I came into Marrakech the day before Ramadan in July 2012, and (in shorts and only my shoulders covered) had a fantastic experience celebrating the nightfall with 1000's of Muslim families in Djama El Fna. It was the most amazing travel experience of my trip...glowsticks and cheering everywhere, friendliness etc. Showing respect for their special first day is as simple as a smile and knowing a few French words. I did not eat or drink in front of a Muslim during daylight hours on the street, but for lunch went to one of many tourist cafes that were open as usual. Morocco is conservative but progressive.

Reply to: Ramadan in July 2012
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted