We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there anywhere in London I can buy Morrocan dinars ??

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
302 posts
109 reviews
Is there anywhere in London I can buy Morrocan dinars ??

or do I have to wait to get to the airport, I just feel uncomfortable about arriving in a country and getting a cab with no local currency in my pocket

Level Contributor
302 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Is there anywhere in London I can buy Morrocan dinars ??

I meant Dirhams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Is there anywhere in London I can buy Morrocan dinars ??

No, you can only buy/sell dirhams inside Morocco...but almsot all airports have cash machines, so you can pick some up easily whenever you arrive.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
4,973 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Is there anywhere in London I can buy Morrocan dinars ??

For your information, the rate of exchange is just over 15 Dirhams to the British Pound or 10D to the Euro. The Dirham is a closed currency meaning it cannot be bought outside Morocco; if you are offered these be wary as they may be forgeries. Only buy them when you enter Morocco, banks, cash machines and bureau de change at the airport all offer the same exchange rate as set by the Government and this is the safest way to acquire cash.

If you are travelling from Europe and have a Maestro/Cirrus ATM card, it will be accepted all over Morocco as there are machines just about everywhere. You can get a maximum of 2000DH (approx £166.00) per day from the ATM, best to take out as much as possible to reduce the overall charge.

You can pay hotel accounts with Visa or Mastercard.

Travellers cheques are accepted but will attract a commission on each cheque, it works out better to take larger denominations if you prefer these and you have the added protection of them being replaced if lost or stolen. I take cash but mostly use the ATM's and any left over Dirham's from previous trips.

Take a credit card or two in case you lose one. If you make purchases or pay hotel bills with a card make sure you know the PIN number as they do not accept signatures there.

It's best to use only one type of currency, the Dirham (although some traders will accept GBP and Euros). If you start haggling in English or Euros you may get confused with the conversion, just keep your cool when trying to work it out - 15D is 1 Pound, 30D is 2 Pound etc.

jklejna@aol.com for any further advise.

evesham
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Is there anywhere in London I can buy Morrocan dinars ??

Hi there, Morocco airports don't seem to get thast busy !! Exchange bureaus are easily found in them ! Cash points are everywhere even in the old medina in Marrakech !!

Believe me I was so worried about all this but it is so easy !

Only tip is if wanting to purchase from duty free in departures then exchange back dirhams to Euros as prices are up in that !

Also Agadir has small cafe and prefer dirhams so keep enough dirham for a coffee and then put what you have left in charity tub!!

London
1 post
2 reviews
5. Re: Is there anywhere in London I can buy Morrocan dinars ??

HSBC in Kensington just sold me some Moroccon currency !

penna
Level Contributor
568 posts
6. Re: Is there anywhere in London I can buy Morrocan dinars ??

Even though Moroccan currency is a closed currency

it seems one can buy it out side of morocco.

I have seen it in NYC, France, Spain and GIB\

offered for sale (Spain and Gib was almost the same exchange i got in

morocco)

and NYC was a very bad rate maybe 15% commission

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech