We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing to wear in marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 5
Clothing to wear in marrakech

Hi have read lots of different sites for information on clothing best worn by females in and around Marrakech to get really conflicting views. Does anyone who has visited recently have advice?

Some sites say shorts and vest tops ok as long as nit showing clevage others say cover knees and shoulders

Falkirk
reviews: 21
11. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

We have just returned (4 females 16-29). We wore shorts that came below the knees at all times and tshirts NOT vest tops. We had no trouble, and the rep at the hotel made the point of saying knees and shoulders covered. On some trips women were wearing strapless tops and hot pants, needless to say the locals had some comments for them. However we had no problems except for a stall owner offering 5000 camels for my friends sister.

Wales
reviews: 30
12. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

I have just been to Marrakech for 5 days. I was also confused about what to wear- to cover up or go comfortable. On our first day there, I wore a skirt, length was just above the knees. I asked our riad owner was this acceptable and she answered ' this is Marrakech, not Saudi Arabia. It's is perfectly fine'. And it was. Some locals stared, but I suspect this wasn't about a hint of my knees.

The sun was out, and I felt completely comfortable letting it touch my skin. Especially when I saw what some local gals were wearing. Admittingly, the further away your are from the Marrakech and other larger cities, perhaps the attitude changes a bit. But in Marrakech, please don't be worried about covering up. Obviously, leave the mini's and boob poppers at home. Use you common sense. It's a beautiful place- friendly, interesting and delicious. Soak it up!

Edited: 3:37 pm, November 04, 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
13. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

And as we progress into winter weather remains unpredictable. In the last week daytime temperatures have RISEN from the low 20's to the low 30's but evenings remain cool by local standards (not Welsh ones!) All the advice about layering remains true - a light shawl/pasmina for women for evening sorties is always advisable and for men a light cotton or linen jacket if required. Fair skins can burn even in November so in direct sunlight some kind of shoulder scarf is a good idea. Not quite on topic but still of importance is a report released yesterday on UK news (Sky) indicating that the highest incidence of skin melanomas is from the residents in northern Wales. No possible reason was suggested for this and I certainly do not want to scaremonger but sunblocks even in winter are worth considering too.

Middlesbrough...
reviews: 123
14. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

I wore full length jersey skirts, full length linen or cotton trousers and always covered my chest/back and at least my shoulders (more often than not up to my elbow) with lightweight cotton shirts.

I found wearing a visible belt made me feel a bit smarter and detracted from the fact I was covering up.

I had no trouble or disrespect, besides a few cheeky attempts to get my attention.

Marrakech, Morocco
15. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

Hi there!

As you already know Marrakech is a Muslim City and this could be the answer to all your questions about what to wear when you go there. You would better not show too much cleavage or skin if you don't want to attract any sort of negative attention. Nobody will ever force you to wear something you don't feel confortable in but the locals will appreciate your modest appearance since this is a sign of respect for their culture. This is just a friendly advice but keep in mind that nobody will make you wear something you don't like. Wear whatever you like but show a little respect to the locals and their country and you will have a wonderful time there!

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
16. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

Marrakech_Mike, PLEASE can you stop bumping old posts with information that has already been given twice over.

Resurrecting old threads means that the new posts requesting information disappear down the page.

17. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 08, 2014