We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing to wear in marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 5
Clothing to wear in marrakech

Hi have read lots of different sites for information on clothing best worn by females in and around Marrakech to get really conflicting views. Does anyone who has visited recently have advice?

Some sites say shorts and vest tops ok as long as nit showing clevage others say cover knees and shoulders

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
1. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

Hi,

Different people have different ideas about what to wear, that's why you get conflicting reports but the "Clothing for Female Travellers.." in the Top Questions box on the right of the page contains some very helpful insights and opinions.

Rome, Italy
reviews: 11
2. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

Wear what you want. I walked with shorts and singlet. No proble.

Regards

3. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:43 pm, May 12, 2012
Derby, United...
reviews: 14
4. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

My friend and I both made sure our shoulders and knees were covered up when in the city eg. long dresses and cardigans, yet we still received a heck of a lot of hassle. However we believe this was due to being two young girls on our own (both 21) who looked rather intimidated rather than it being down to our clothes.

The people I saw were generally wearing the same thing, there was certainly no one walking round in short skirts and bikinis so I'd ignore the 'wear what you want' statement above.

5. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, May 13, 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 8
6. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

Wear respectful clothing and you will be respected - Wear skimpy clothing and you will just get lots of attention from the type of men you wouldn't want it from...That's it in a nutshell!

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

Wear what you want is hardly good advice. Please take no notice of that..that's irresponsible and can result in you're being very embarrassed if not mortified. You might get away with it but I'd say.....

Don't show bum cheeks, don't show too much cleavage,midriff,don't wear anything very tight.

You don't need to dress like a medieval nun but it makes sense to cover in light, comfortable,looser clothing against the sun,as "air-conditioning" and as some kind of nod toward modesty. To my mind it's all about practicality and comfort as much as anything else. Who wants to get sunstroke,get burnt as well as risk dissaproval?

What is Ok for a beach holiday or around a swimming pool in the private grounds of a hotel is not appropriate on city streets anywhere in the world.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
8. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

Rather than think of it as a prohbition on certain kinds of clothing, approach the situation thinking "what would show most respect - if I cover myself or if I expose lots of flesh?"

I have read on travel forums where women have stated that they won't cover themselves because it goes against their feminist principles and they shouldn't have to worry about offending men, regardless of religion.

My feelings on the matter vary somewhat in that I mainly wanted to cover myself so as not to offend the women of Marrakech who choose to observe rules of hijab. I had quite a few conversations with ladies who were fully veiled and I wouldn't have felt comfortable standing in front of them with bare shoulders or legs.

I also agree with other posters - the more "touristy" you look, the more unwanted welcome you are likely to attract. Maxi dresses and shawls are comfortable, modest and stylish.

Edited: 1:58 pm, May 12, 2012
Taunton, United...
reviews: 28
9. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

We just got back Friday from a 5 night stay there. I wore loose linen trousers (some cropped) and loose tops with half or full sleeve. I felt much more comfortable like this than I would have done in skimpy or tight clothes. It was 40 degrees and very hot. I also carried a pashmina as a cover up as well, it was useful as extra sun protection too! I wore sleeveless tops at night but wore a pashmina until inside the bar/restaurant. Hope this helps.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 20
10. Re: Clothing to wear in marrakech

if you are with female company you will get more attention than you would do with male company.if you're alone you might have a bit more trouble than you would with company... that's the way it is there. but you could do yourself a favour by wearing trousers or long skirts and loose fitting tops which will cause you less hassle. you don't need to cover your head. just remember the young men sometimes try their luck at rubbing up beside you... so shorts and skimpy tops aren't helpful.