We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female traveller

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston,Jamaica
reviews: 14
Single female traveller

How safe is it for a female to travel alone in Marrakech? I am making plans to travel in the beginning of August but now it appears that my travel partner is dropping out. However, I still wish to go ahead with my trip as I've been looking forward to it for a while and want to know if this is wise.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 6
1. Re: Single female traveller

Morocco is one of the safest coutries in the world. thousands of solo females flock to visit the country each year. No need to

worry. should you need specific information feel free to ask

regards

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 17
2. Re: Single female traveller

Truebeliever, I think thats a bit of an exaggerated response. Yes, many single female travellers visit Morocco, but they do have concerns that should be addressed (speaking as one myself).

Moroccomania, Morocco is safe for lone females, but obviously use the same guidelines you would use in ANY foreign country: dont walk about by yourself in dark or deserted areas, dont tell people where you're staying, dress modestly.

Most importantly, relax and smile. You may receive unwanted attention from local males, but while it might become annoying - it is rarely threatening. Just be firm.

Definitely come to Morocco - you'll have a great time.

Kingston,Jamaica
3. Re: Single female traveller

Thank you for your responses.

I must say that the disadvantage of travelling alone is that I won't be able to benefit from sharing costs for tours/excursions etc. Also, quite a few excursions require at least 2 persons. Any suggestions on how to find other travellers with whom I can tag along for excursions? Don't want to miss out on the attractions just because I am travelling solo.

Berlin, Germany
reviews: 26
4. Re: Single female traveller

Check out Lonely Planet's messaging board, many postings appear for travel buddies all the time:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com

I traveled solo for 8 months and always met companions along the way. So not to worry if you can't line up a travel buddy before you go!

Athens, Greece
reviews: 19
5. Re: Single female traveller

Hello Moroccomania,

You are not alone - there are plenty of women travelling alone, I am one of them.

I even found a woman of my age via this site to share hotel expenses in Marrakech. Unfortunately my plans had to be postponed due to unforeseen circumstances. However, am still determined to leave as soon as it is possible (hopefully early May).

You will enjoy it!

Morocco

Kingston,Jamaica
6. Re: Single female traveller

Thank you both Bluehorizon and Morocco.

I have located a travel guide (Ali) who was recommended by someone on this site and have started making arrangements with him to see some of the sights. The plan is to travel with him for 3 days (2 nights) in early August and I am really seeking a travel buddy for this part of the trip. Hopefully,another single female traveller will express an interest in sharing this cost. Fingers crossed.