We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations needed for the best souks with excellent...

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey, USA
reviews: 5
Recommendations needed for the best souks with excellent...

I only have a few days in Marrakech & would love to purchase a few lanterns high quality lamps & lanterns. Can anyone recommend specific souks? Has anyone shipped a lantern home and received it with all glass intact?

Thanks!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 8
1. Re: Recommendations needed for the best souks with excellent...

you can buy lanterns almost anywhere in Marrakech an dnot necessarily in the souks. There 're more and more shops that sell handicraft located outside the city. You'll need the help of a local to make up your mind. As for transport they' ll help you with shipment

need further details, don't hesitate to ask

regards

New Jersey, USA
reviews: 5
2. Re: Recommendations needed for the best souks with excellent...

Thanks for the trubeliever. So you say outside the city is better with a local guide? If you happen to know of a reputable guide that is not all about completely scamming tourists, I'm all ears. Or can help with suggesting some out-of-town shops, that would be totally appreciated!

I know that having a local guide has good points like they know where the best stuff is and can get you there in a short time, but the bad points are that local guides take you to shops that they know the owners or will get a commission.

I had this happen in Egypt. This local guide took us to the local shops where I bought a lamp and paid with Egytpian pounds and 2 US dollars. We paid the shopkeep and we were on our way. As we concluded the tour, the guide asked us to exchange these pesky 2 US dollars that he had been carrying around because they are of no use to him. Obviously, it was part of his commision for taking us to that shop. So I am aware of this kind of thing.

However, if the guide take us to shops with amazing things that I couldn't other wise find myself, then a commission is certianly warranted!

Thanx!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 8
3. Re: Recommendations needed for the best souks with excellent...

That's right a majority of guides take commissions but I believe it's better to have someone who knows the best places and get some good bargains than just go on your own and get ripped off. The good thing about having a guide is that you can always take back what you don't like to the shop and get your money back

If you're interested just leave me your email and I'll get back to you with details. I can't give you my email because I'll be breaking posting guidelines of trip advisor

cheers